Are All Rib Racks Created Equal?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was shopping around on Amazon for a rib rack to use on my WSM 18.5 and they all pretty much look the same to me. There are a couple models that will flip over and can be used as a roasting rack.

If you have a favorite rib rack or one that you just love, how about sharing a link?

Thanks!

I have the Steven Raichlen rib rack. It serves its purpose well, but it is kinda big so I don't know if it will fit in the 18.5". It may though. Also its a bit of a pain to get clean if you don't have a dishwasher.

If I were to buy one today it would probably be the dual purpose one that you mentioned.

I have some generic rib/roast rack and find its a pain with spares. Might work better with baby backs. Consider rolling and skewering your ribs, I think its the easiest.

I use this one: http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BAC245

I've tried a few others and I really like the Traeger because it supports the whole rack evenly and it has 8 slots (the most I've seen). Not sure it would fit in your 18.5 but it fits in my 22.5 well.

I was looking at Klose rib racks and I likely would have chosen them had I not ran into the Traeger at a local restaurant supply. The Klose rack may fit better in your 18.5 - it looks a bit smaller.

No not all rib racks are the same. I have a Weber 18.5 and don't use a rack. I use bamboo skewers and roll the racks and then slide a skewer threw them at them at three locations to hold them in a curl without any of the meat touching.

With this method I can get six to eight racks in my WSM.

I purchased a rack but it was too tall since I like baby back ribs, and it must have been designed for spares ribs.

I have the Steven Raichlen rib rack also. It cost more but it is a substantial rack! This picture shows a Weber rack on the left and the Steven Raichlen rack on the right. Shown are baby backs but for spares the Steven Raichlen is better. It also has handles.
Look on Amazon.com

Attachments

• IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 421
I use a roaster rack turned upside down, it works fine.

We prefer the rib/roast rack that is shown above. Works perfect for us.

Never done a roast on it though, just ribs.

I have a rack that my father bought from Weber probably 30 + years ago, holds six rack nice and neat on the weber, fits on the top shelf of the dishwasher!

I just invert the roasting rack my wife uses in the kitchen. Works great...

8862racks.jpg

Bloody genius using the roasting rack upside down! I never thought of that but I am going to see if mine will work for ribs since its never used in the roasting pan.

I just invert the roasting rack my wife uses in the kitchen. Works great...

8862racks.jpg

Thanks for this one... I picked up one of these (Oneida brand) at Bed Bath & Beyond this afternoon for ten bux... along with a nice set of poultry shears and a Calphalon carving set...

Thanks for this one... I picked up one of these (Oneida brand) at Bed Bath & Beyond this afternoon for ten bux...

I'd return it.

I had zero luck using these roaster/rack combos.

When flipped in rack position, only the top of the V point is high enough to support the rack of ribs.

You end up with the ends of the slabs draped towards either the front or the back of the rack.

When cooked, your meat will form into this distorted shape and will be impossible to wrap in foil, should you so choose.

Just my .02

Wish I woulda remembered that with my previous post

I'd return it.

When flipped in rack position, only the top of the V point is high enough to support the rack of ribs.

You end up with the ends of the slabs draped towards either the front or the back of the rack.

When cooked, your meat will form into this distorted shape and will be impossible to wrap in foil, should you so choose.

Just my .02

I'll keep it whether it works or not. I'll just use it as a regular roasting rack. I might just build a rib rack. I wonder if a wooden design would hold up for any length of design in a smoker?

I have a couple of ss racks from Klose. They are great and heavy duty enough to outlast me. They are true stainless and I;ve dropped them plenty, and have never bent.

I'd return it.

Just my .02

I don't have those problems. Trimmed ribs aren't a problem and I don't cheat by foiling.

EDIT: :-D

Back