MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoked Salmon

I know a lot of people cold smoke salmon, vacuum seal, and freeze it for later. Can you also freeze hot smoked salmon for later consumption? If so, how long can you keep it? Any tips on this subject would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I've only done hot smoked (kippered) salmon so far. Next salmon I do will be a cold smoke. This one...http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75692

After the salmon cools in fridge I vac-suck then date and into the freezer. Never had any problems but I don't think we've had in freezer for more than about 3-4 months max. I suppose it would last longer but may depend on the pre-smoking process. I think it may last longer if it was cured somehow before you smoked...but I'm certainly no expert.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes and it will keep for a few months. I've found that if I keep it more than a couple months it gets a little mushy after thaw.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

That cold smoked looks great! I have cured salmon before in a similar manner and just sliced it up and ate it. No smoking at all. It is good that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
I've only done hot smoked (kippered) salmon so far. Next salmon I do will be a cold smoke. This one...http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75692

After the salmon cools in fridge I vac-suck then date and into the freezer. Never had any problems but I don't think we've had in freezer for more than about 3-4 months max. I suppose it would last longer but may depend on the pre-smoking process. I think it may last longer if it was cured somehow before you smoked...but I'm certainly no expert.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

I hot smoke mullet in the winter, I cast net them from the dock.... I concur with the 3 -4 months in the freezer or it gets a bit mushy. It usually doesn't make it to the freeze though.

If it does get old, I have party crowd pleasing dip that's never gotten a bad review. PM me it you want it. Works best with hot smoked fish.

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote