MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Anyone rock a veggie garden?? (pics)

So not really a bbq post though my last pic is of a corned beef brisket I'm smoking for some pastrami (my new favorite thing to smoke) that I've been cooking as I planted today .

Before I ventured into bbq'ing I started another hobby of growing my own veggies. I wanted to see if anyone else out there combines these 2 hobbies/obsessions??

This is my 3rd year growing and each year my garden has gotten bigger and bigger. First yeat I started out with some upside down planters I made along with 1 raised bed. Last year I only did raised beds and I added some more this year.

It is finally warm enough here in GA to plant warm weather veggies so I put in about 70% of my tomatoes and peppers today. I also have zucchini, yellow squash, and will put in eggplant and probably some melons on a hill I have. I'll probably have close to 90 pepper plant (all varieties), around 15 tomato plants and then other veggies I mentioned.

So wanted to see if anyone else has anything to share and if anyone has started yet this year, favorite things to grow, etc. Would love to see pics too, but comments are great! I love this time of year.

Not finished with the mulching yet. Most of these beds are new this year.

I had these 4 beds last year. Still some room to fill. Couldn't do it all in 1 day :).

Here is the corned beef.
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I still have a foot of snow in my yard, I can just now see my raised beds. We can't plant here until after the first week in June. I plant a lot of garlic, I make my own garlic powder and granulated garlic.. Peas and pole beans do very well, pumpkins and any squash do ok. Peppers not so good, hot or sweet. I've never been able to get a full size ripe tomato.Root veggies do well here but I don't waste my garden space on them. Our season is short here, but the days are long.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
caseydog

expatpig, I'll be harvesting fresh peppers the first week of June.

fnbish, I do my gardens the same way, but I have fewer in my tiny yard. I also use rough-cut cedar for my frames -- no warping at all, and no need for paint or stain.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
Well, I still have a foot of snow in my yard, I can just now see my raised beds. We can't plant here until after the first week in June. I plant a lot of garlic, I make my own garlic powder and granulated garlic.. Peas and pole beans do very well, pumpkins and any squash do ok. Peppers not so good, hot or sweet. I've never been able to get a full size ripe tomato.Root veggies do well here but I don't waste my garden space on them. Our season is short here, but the days are long.
You must be way up north :) or maybe alaska/canada. I do feel lucky that we have a pretty long growing season here in the south. Our spring and fall are pretty short so I have to stay away from the cool weather crops as everything would bolt quickly. Was excited to plant today and hopefully should get some tomatoes and peppers in about 60 days. Thanks for the comment.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
jmilleronaire
Knows what a fatty is.

I started some tomato and pepper seeds indoors yesterday...
Still chances of heavy frost for another month.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
jmilleronaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Lookin' good. Hubby's a farmer by trade...I leave the dirty work to him- literally... although I mentioned getting out and giving it a try this year with our 4 year old son.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm wanting to make raised beds. Any recomendations on the retaining walls?
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
jestridge

This is my 33 th for growing a garden
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
BMantlow
On the road to being a farker

How does that irrigation system work?

I need me some raised beds.
BMantlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

I tried a garden once...The chickens didn't make it. Not sure If i planted them too deep or watered too much?#$#?

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
I tried a garden once...The chickens didn't make it. Not sure If i planted them too deep or watered too much?#$#?
Yeah those damn chickens are a finicky bunch . I gave up after my first try.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
I'm wanting to make raised beds. Any recomendations on the retaining walls?
I haven't had to put in any retaining walls though thought about it for the hill I have in my backyard. I have about zero skill in the landscaping category :).

Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMantlow View Post
How does that irrigation system work?

I need me some raised beds.
I actually document a ton of my garden and bbq adventures. Another hobby I guess :). But i made a few video's and put em up on youtube. The vids are fairly detailed on the setup I use. I'm no expert. Learned most of my gardening skills on youtube and the web.

Part 1
YouTube - Drip Irrigation Installation: 1 of 2
Part 2
YouTube - Drip Irrigation Installation: 2 of 2

Also a vid of how I make my beds.
YouTube - How to Make a Raised Bed - Easy Method / My Method

Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Hoss
Babbling Farker

I dabbled a bit last year.The garden has grown 50% this year.Plannin on 3 acres of sweet corn and maybe 8 acres of watermelons and cantaloupe this year.Still too early here for anything but Early season stuff,which don't sell well at the market.(Learned the hard way last year.I had celery,brussel sprouts,cauliflower,broccolli,leaf lettuce)Most of it went in the compost pile. This year will be the "staples".

Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Wow Hoss, that looks pretty good. Wish I had some land like that to expand my garden. Not to sell it, just to grow more of my own food. Last year I made a single raised garden that's about 4'x8' made from plans on this site. Here's a pic from last year

Learned quite a bit from it - grew things that took up too much space for a 4'x8' plot and tried too many different things. This year I'm keeping it simple. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, green beans and trying watermelon. I started my peppers and tomatoes indoors in the middle of February and put them outside about a month ago. Kept them covered for a couple of weeks and now everything is uncovered and taking off. Also added a drip irrigation system this year. Last year my tomatoes got a little blight because of my hand watering. Hope that doesn't happen this year with the drip system.