Smoked Steaks

Shooody

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever smoked steaks, like Ribeye or T-bone. Also, would you maybe smoke 'em and then finish them on the grill?

I've done that many time. Smoke for an hour and then grill to finish. Lovely. I've never had the patience to smoke 'em longer than that.

I smoked some T-Bones a month or so ago. Here's the process I used.
Rubbed with EVOO, then applied salt, cracked black pepper, a little brown sugar. Let the steaks sit for 30 minutes prior to placing on the smoker. 250 degrees using cherry and pecan. I used a temp probe and pulled when the IT temp was Med & Med Well. Removed from the smoker and drizzled with herbed melted butter.
They came out very tender and moist. Great flavor. I did not do a reverse sear as I didn't feel the need.

Cool, thanks guys and gals, think I'll run over to Omaha Steaks and grab me some thick ones and try it out.

Sorry, I just can't bring myself to do that to a steak, I like my steak rare, 2min per side. I suppose that if someone blindfolded me and put a smoked steak in front of me I would love it, but I just can't do it... just can't.

^^^ medium rare here, 3mins fairly high heat per side. smoked? I do enjoy either oak or mesquite on that fire....

Shooody, while you're at it, grab some crab legs to go with them. :-D
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93380

f4f4a81f-1.jpg

By far my favorite way to do steaks.

I start them cold out of the fridge, sprinkle with salt and pepper (no oil), then straight on the smoker with fairly strong mesquite smoke at about 200* until internal temp hits about 105-115, then sear, rest and enjoy.
I usually smoke a big pack of steaks at one time and just wrap and chill any extras to sear another day. The smoke flavor penetrates more by the 2nd and 3rd day.

Internal temp target at the smoking stage will depend the cut, the searing method, and personal preference, but I like a rare steak that is Black-pink-black instead of black-gray-pink-red-pink-gray-black and this method does that.

By far my favorite way to do steaks.

I start them cold out of the fridge, sprinkle with salt and pepper (no oil), then straight on the smoker with fairly strong mesquite smoke at about 200* until internal temp hits about 105-115, then sear, rest and enjoy.
I usually smoke a big pack of steaks at one time and just wrap and chill any extras to sear another day. The smoke flavor penetrates more by the 2nd and 3rd day.

Internal temp target at the smoking stage will depend the cut, the searing method, and personal preference, but I like a rare steak that is Black-pink-black instead of black-gray-pink-red-pink-gray-black and this method does that.

I like your idea of doing several in advance. Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

I mentioned this in a thread a while back. I like my beef steak as rare as anyone, but, I also like a nice smoke & char. The best way I've found so far is when the coals are ready take the steak out of the freezer, throw some hickory on the coals and throw the frozen steak on the grill. Grill it how ever you want from that point. YMMV. Cheers!!!

A great alternative is to grill steaks over the coals from a good hardwood fire. I have done it over oak, ash, hard maple, and apple in the past. I have a tripod that has a sliding, chained grill grate. Let the fire burn down to a nice large bed of coals and lower the grate to sear steaks quickly until med-rare to medium. It is phenominal. I have heard it is really good on an old-fashioned fireplace on a cold night too.

An alternative if you don't have access to a fire pit might be the reverse sear method after a little smoke already mentioned. I have also done it where I sear the steaks first over coals on one side of a weber kettle with screaming hot new coals, then place steaks away from the coals, throw some chips or a chunk of wood on the coals and shut the vents to about 1/3 open and smoke for a half hour or so until the steak meets the desired temp.

Lots of good info here. I think I have my next saturdays meal planned out. I think I will try Filet mignon wrapped in bacon smoked with maple or applewood.

I grill my steaks with wood chunks on the coals, I sear first and then move over away from fire to let cook/smoke some more.

Yes. grill over wood coal make a big difference for steaks or burgers

Back