Stoker or Guru ???

Shawny Mac

Reaction score
I have been contemplating getting one or the other. I currently own a WSM 18.5, but I plan on getting a BWS eventually. I was wondering if the Brethren could give me some feedback on both, pros and cons.....

They are both good. I prefer the Guru because I have no need to run multiple cookers at once or check my temps via remote computer. Guru is top notch.

They are both good. I prefer the Guru because I have no need to run multiple cookers at once or check my temps via remote computer. Guru is top notch.
What he said:thumb:

I have researched both and understand their capabilities, but I have not used either and was wondering of one is better quality than the other. I am also interested in hearing about the quality of the probes

Stoker.
next question

:wink:

seriously though this is a silly question to ask because you can search and get answers soooo much faster than waiting on our responses :thumb:

...to be honest you will be happy with either and IF NOT you can sell it and buy the other with a VERY minimum loss if any :thumb:

ALSO check this out IF you havent yet: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/stokerguru/stokerguru1.htm

I have been contemplating getting one or the other. I currently own a WSM 18.5, but I plan on getting a BWS eventually. I was wondering if the Brethren could give me some feedback on both, pros and cons.....

I went from a guru to a stoker and happy with the decision.

Knowing I can remotely control & monitor my pit filled with massive amounts of meat is worth it.

Thou.... these are great tools to make things easier, they can also get you into trouble real quick if you become to lackadaisical in setting any blower unit up.

The Stokerlog tool has helped me out a lot - I can look at the graph during and at the end of a cook and see what happened. It's really easy to see when something went right or wrong during the cook.

Then I print out the screen shot, a pic of my turn in and my scores and I can sit at the table with some beer(s) and contemplate my next adventure in smoking.

I do not know anything about stoker. I really like my GURU and can honestly say that their customer service is excellent

I'm a gadget geek so I can't understand why anyone would get a guru over a stoker. :p

The Stokerlog tool has helped me out a lot - I can look at the graph during and at the end of a cook and see what happened. It's really easy to see when something went right or wrong during the cook.

Then I print out the screen shot, a pic of my turn in and my scores and I can sit at the table with some beer(s) and contemplate my next adventure in smoking.

And you're gonna' flip me chit about me weighing my burger patties with a digital scale!!! Oh, the hypocrisy!!! :heh: :heh: :thumb:

I went with the Stoker because I'm a tech head and I run a drum. I can fill my drum up and it easily last 18 hours in the winter and 24+ in the summer, so the ability to control my Stoker from my cell phone (has internet on it) or any computer with internet basically turns my UDS into a crockpot. I set it in the morning, go about my business, checking it throughout the day, and I've got dinner waiting for me when I get home. Sure I'd love to sit around by the smoker all day drinking beer, but I seldom have that luxary

If your running a stickburner or something that you have to refill with fuel every few hours, you'll probably never reach the effectiveness of the Stoker. If you've got a pit that will hold enough wood for a full cook, the stoker is top notch.

Thanks for the replies.... I appreciate the input, and think that I am leaning toward the Stoker....the ability to start smoking some grub, and check its status from my phone while I go about my business is awesome.

If your running a stickburner or something that you have to refill with fuel every few hours, you'll probably never reach the effectiveness of the Stoker. If you've got a pit that will hold enough wood for a full cook, the stoker is top notch.

Stoker gave my stickburner about an hour longer burn. Both devices are meant for mainly a charcoal fire with some wood though...all wood fires may give you bitter smoke from smouldering when the air is shut off.

If you have one pit, and don't feel the need to put a probe in many pieces of meat, the Guru is easy to set up and works well.

If you want to run multiple pits, have multiple meat probes, want to check your temp remotely, or have the controller a long distrance from the pit, go with the Stoker. (The stoker probes are connected using audio headphone cable. By using headphone splitters you can put more than one probe at the end of a cable. I have often run 6 probes at the end of a 50 foot cable this way. I would not advise doing that with a fan though, unless you have the type with it's own power supply and a relay.)

The Stroker isn't hard to set up, but if you want to do funky stuff like accessing it remotely from your phone, or having it send you twitter messages with the status of your cook, you should be comfortable doing things like using the administrator functions on a wireless router.

Back