Wild Salmon

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone know where and how to get the Wild/Fresh/Not farmed Salmon. All we get around here is pale farmed stuff either at costco or even the fish markets. Also.. any insight into the differences, besides the antibiotic issues.

Phil,

No joking I fish for them. But the farmed fish have a lot things going for it.

1) Known water condition
2) Known chemicals (different then toxins as defined by the EPA)
3) Known Toxins (at leats we hope)
4) Set price (it might cost me $10 one week or $50 the next week to catch a salmon)
5) You don't have to take you brother-in-law with you.

As far as antibiotic issues I have not seen a study between frarm raised and wild but I will check with TU and see what they say. I have see a study between canned and fresh salmon and canned and fresh tunna, were as the canned verison did not offer the same benifits as the fresh fish did. But that study had several misstaks in it and from what I gather the cannd fish people what us to forget that it was ever published.

Trout

We have wild salmon for sale out here year around but I have no ideas on the other coast.

Trout
Farm raised salmon it is recommend that you don't eat more than once a month because the pens are kept in spots where there is much less current so toxin in the fish is higher than wild. Farm raised is not close in quality to wild, fat levels are lower, the flesh has no where near as good when comes to texture.

We have both out here in Seattle and farmed is cheaper but I still get wild, the difference between select or lower grade beef to Prime.

Jim,

I agree to the with you about the quility, however it the farm is keeping up with their required water changes to mantain the FDA certifcation and the more important SFA (salmon farmer seal) then the toxin levels should be lower then many of the the wild salmon. But if the farmers are not keeping up with the water changes to save money then......It is getting better for them but we are still several years away from having a steady supply of wild low toxin, salmon.

In the North West you do have a great advantage to us in th east. Years of consevation has given you a wounderful bounty of fish, even the Japan has curtelled the overfishing of the Pacific rim. However, in the east we can not bring ourselvs to stop over fishing the Chesapeake bay let alone an ocean.

Trout
I will admit that the information I stated is based on the west coast fishery.

ok. so on your next trip to the fish market or river, whichever comes first, which of u ladies is gonna pack a few wild salmon and ship it fedex overnight. I'll send fedex account and cash. :) 8) :wink:

I just may be in Seattle at Pike Place Market if I can get up there it's coming your way.

I like em both but cookd different ways. Catfish has to be fried. No other civilized way to eat it. Salmon, however, can fixed a myriad of ways including smoked. Tonight me and MrsMista are going to have it poached in wine with dill. Yum!!

jminion said:
I just may be in Seattle at Pike Place Market if I can get up there it's coming your way.

Best salmon I ever bought was from Pike in the mid 80's I think, hell they have the best fish in the country if not the world, great Farmers market if my brain is still working.

Phil, next summer get over to the middle coast and we'll go out on Lake Michigan for some King's and Skamania. My best friend has a 38' Four Winds fishing machine. Nothing better than throwing fresh caught salmon on the Weber.

Honestly, I aint big on fish, but salmon is the only (non shellfish) I like. The wife however loves the stuff. We usually get the big filet from Costco, but now Sharons been hearing all this dribble about antibiotics and toxins in the farm raised stuff. I never had wild salmon and heard the brothers here mentioning it. I've gone to all the local markets and they dont get wild salmon very often arounf here. Was considering a trip into NYC to South Street Seaport to see if i can get it there. But if Jim can get the real thing in seattle, and from what i've heard its the best in the world... Ill take him up on that and send him some Brooklyn Pizza... :)

ok......
Lets not get into the comparing a Brooklynn pizza to that Chicago stuff they feel like calling pizza.

Best pizza anywhere, and I've had it from Chicago, New York, Baltimore, and out of my own oven; the best is from Columbo's in Elkhart, IN. Great little restaraunt owned by an Italian imigrant, Giuseppie Siciliano from Calabria, Italy. His 80+ year old mother does most of the cooking!

Honestly, I aint big on fish, but salmon is the only (non shellfish) I like.

You need to get out west Mary. There's a ton of outstanding fish here. I just saw wild salmon fillets on sale for $2.99#

Back