How do you make and hold your cornbread?

K

K Dub

How do you make and hold your cornbread? Those of you who make / sell it. Do you make pans of it or muffin style? How far in advance do you make it and what are your requirements for holding it? Does it have to be refrigerated?

We make ours in mini loaf pans, stack in hotel pans & cover with plastic
No refrigeration needed. Warm before serving.

^^^^^^^ But if you going to try and keep them warm in a cooler with a gallon jug of screaming hot water. Dont open until needed. I think it would be hard to keep them warm for a long period of time. Maybe a Cambro will work better.

I just want to make then a couple days in advance of a vending event. I will wrap them after cooling. I was not sure if they needed to be refrigerated. I think I am going to do them muffin style.

Because of the ingredients, eggs, butter, possibly cheese, jalapenos or whole corn, I refrigerate it. I've found several times it went rancid after a day or so at room temp. Keeping it covered seals in moisture and makes a breeding ground for microbes.

We cook them up in 1/2 pans the day of the event, and slice to order. We have a Vulcan double oven on our trailer that accomodates 16-1/2 pans at a time. each pan has 12-15 portions. (depending who is slicing). We then hold in cambros.
Our prep and cook time is about 60-75 minutes. The whole process is a bit cumbersome, but it is a popular item and our cost is so minimal (3.00 a pan)

Hope this helps.

Recently went to our local new bbq joint, it was great except the cornbread. served cold almost ruined the whole dinner. I'm glad your asking the question.

I usually make mine in a large black iron skillet then hold it in my left hand as I sop up all the left over juices off my plate from the white beans and turnip greens! :becky:

i like to make mine in muffin pans. usualy a little spicy with extra jalapeños

Back