MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
mrmerck
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Kent
Default Barrel House Cooker

A friend of mine called me when he found a BHC in a Walmart drastically reduced and I grabbed it. I`ve done a couple mods but have really liked it, my first time owning a charcoal fueled smoker.

I like cooking ribs but I`ve noticed a trend..Because the ribs hang on hooks the bottom of my ribs often touch or get really close to the burning charcoal. During several cooks I find the ribs overcook at the very tip near the coals. This weekend I raised my rack of ribs and an actual piece of Kingsford charcoal had adhered to the bottom.

Any suggestions? The smoker does come with a grate and I thought I might try my next rack of ribs on the grate but the instructions all call for the hanging method. BTW, my model is BHC 18C

Thanks for all replies
mrmerck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

That company was put out of business because they stole their idea from the PBC, but I grabbed one on clearance for $45. It was my introduction to drum style cooking and I have since upgraded to a Hunsaker.

To answer your question though, I would say just put your hook a bone or two lower. It is fine if the top flops over a little bit.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got a good deal on a barrel house too, turned out to be an ok cooker

hook higher or cut the racks in half.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #4
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

Honestly the barrel house cooker was a better design. Loved the fact it could separate. When you hang your ribs try going down 3 or 4 bones.
Hinds15 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Daniel

You can trim a rib off or 2, or just hookem lower. You can also split the racks but then you dont have large beautiful slabs to work with...

Old 07-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
Honestly the barrel house cooker was a better design. Loved the fact it could separate. When you hang your ribs try going down 3 or 4 bones.
while I've never cooked on a PBC from what I seen I think the barrel house is a better design but I'm not sure it's of better quality. after a year and a half of moderate use the base is pretty rusted and the handles are loose. the lid dropped and and now doesn't fit as well. the base in particular feels a bit thin.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds15 View Post
It was such an amazingly better design PBC acquired them for pennies on the dollar after already winning a law suit to get paid for every one they sold...double better!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

My PBC is still going strong after three years of heavy use and being stored uncovered on my patio in direct sun and rain. Oh, and should I need them, spare parts are available.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
It was such an amazingly better design PBC acquired them for pennies on the dollar after already winning a law suit to get paid for every one they sold...double better!
Thats all fine but I owned both and 1 was better for me.
Hinds15 is online now   Reply With Quote