Smoked egg question......

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I threw a few eggs on the smoker this afternoon while I had a beef rib smoking.I overcooked them.Cooker was running 275 to 300f.How long do you leave eggs on the smoker at that temp.I am thinking 45 minutes should do it.Any advice from the ones that have done it successfully?I left the ones today an hour and a half or so.First time trying it so had no idea.

Last edited:
Did the smoke get through the shell? Never even thought of trying that.

CLgD1mnh.jpg

I’ve never tried, but you’re smoking them hotter than boiling water so I wouldn’t think very long. You might want to try moving them directly to an ice bath to stop the cooking when you take them out to help.

Cold smoking eggs that have already been hard boiled might work better... but seems like something that might take some experimenting.

I’ve never tried, but you’re smoking them hotter than boiling water so I wouldn’t think very long. You might want to try moving them directly to an ice bath to stop the cooking when you take them out to help.

Good idea.I usually boil them 10 minutes or so at 212 boiling water,Next time I will try 15 minutes,then ice bath.I may go 30 minutes,I want them to be smoked,not just “done”,heck,soft smoked is fine by me.Today was just a trial to amuse myself.

Cold smoking eggs that have already been hard boiled might work better... but seems like something that might take some experimenting.

I think that would require cold smoking.Not sure how to cure eggs so they do not stay in danger zone while cold smoking.Wait,boil eggs first then cold smoke.,I see your point,I may give that a try,like smoking cheese.Good idea.I just like trying crazy stuff.Ergo,smoking fresh eggs.Just funnin around.

Last edited:
I've never cooked or eaten one, but I bet they'd taste great. Thanks for posting. Waiting for the perfect time and temp.

There are a few recipes online for baking them in the oven. I'm seeing 350* for 30 minutes. 325* for 20-30. Both suggest the ice water bath after.

Personally, I'd science it. Put on a few, pull one at 20 minutes, into bath for 5, peel. If it's done, then you kinda overcooked the rest. If not, then pull another and repeat.

I think that would require cold smoking.Not sure how to cure eggs so they do not stay in danger zone while cold smoking.Wait,boil eggs first then cold smoke.,I see your point,I may give that a try,like smoking cheese.Good idea.I just like trying crazy stuff.Ergo,smoking fresh eggs.Just funnin around.

No need to cure.
Boil
Peel
Cold smoke - an hour is plenty Eggs without shells easily take on smoke.
Refrigerate in a zip lock.

You’re not in any danger zone long enough to worry about.

Makes great addition to ramen.

I have smoked a lot of eggs. The best were when I pickled them after smoking.

For easy pickled eggs (where you don't make your own brine); once you finish a jar of dill pickles, put a few hard boiled eggs in the left over brine. Let sit in your refrigerator for a couple weeks then go to town on them. Yummy! I have a jar of Famous Dave's spicy pickle spears I am working my way through now. That brine is going to get a few eggs for sure.

Yaker

How's, I have never smoked them, but we make soft boiled eggs two or three times a week--where the yolk is runny. After water boils, we "gently" set them in and cook for 6 minutes. They will feel squishy,, just peel a. little bit carefullyThat will get you a good start, for smoking them to not overcook. That is what I do to make eggs for smoked scotch eggs.

I have smoked a lot of eggs. The best were when I pickled them after smoking.

For easy pickled eggs (where you don't make your own brine); once you finish a jar of dill pickles, put a few hard boiled eggs in the left over brine. Let sit in your refrigerator for a couple weeks then go to town on them. Yummy! I have a jar of Famous Dave's spicy pickle spears I am working my way through now. That brine is going to get a few eggs for sure.

Yaker

That is my intended use for them once I get the smoking part to my liking.Pickled smoked eggs.

I smoked them years ago. Not a fan. But y'all got me thinking.

Cold smoked for an hour or so. No where near the danger zone. Chill em right away. Then crack and fry over easy...

Back