Jambo vs LSG vs Johnson Reverse

You are right. They are not comparable. In my crappy "traditional" vertical offset from LSG with tuning plates, I can have temperatures the same size to side OR I can cook at 275* on one side for a brisket while cooking a chicken on the other side at 325*.

I have to reset my plates when I clean out the bottom of the cooking chamber. I am exhausted after the 30 seconds it takes me to put them back in position.

BOTH designs work well. Both will do great jobs cooking BBQ. Get off your high horse.

Who called your LSG crappy? And I'm on a high horse because I feel an RF baffle is better at keeping uniform temps than tuning plates? I see you're not interested in having a discussion and instead you're interested in trying to brute force your opinion onto others.

This thread really brought out the inner-aggression in quite a few posters. Not sure why but it's quite surprising and illuminating.

Last edited:
and tuning plates allow you NOT to have uniform temperatures if you want......

Both types of cookers work well as I have repeatedly said.

Thanks for the response! Do you ever wish you could cook at different temperatures at the same time? That's really the only negative I've seen for reverse flow. I've also read that reverse flows use more wood but haven't seen anyone actually put this to the test and prove it...

The Shakar, I've had an LSG 24x48 offset for a couple of years. Before the LSG I had a reverse flow offset so I can offer you a couple of things that I learned from cooking on both.

First thing is both units were easy to run. Once you have a good coal bed and can maintain it, keeping a good temp range is as easy as adding a split or two every 30 - 45 minutes.

Now for differences:
After using the reverse flow cooker for over a year I figured out I did not like the flavor produced by grease from the food being cooked hitting the reverse flow plate and sizzling there. But this is purely personal as some people do like this additional flavor. Temperatures were pretty even across the entire cooker; some slight variation at the firebox side, but that is to be expected especially if the cooker is a smaller size.

The LSG I now have has tuning plates and if they are used I can get the temps within 5 degrees from side to side on the cooker. However, using the tuning plates I get the same issue of the grease hitting the tuning plates and producing that additional flavor I do not care for. So, i don't use the tuning plates.

Without the tuning plates I have a 50 degree difference in temps, i.e. 275 on the bottom left rack and 325 on the top right rack. For me and how I cook this turns out to be an advantage since I often cook 2-3 different meats at the same time. I can cook ribs/brisket at 275 while cooking a spatchcocked chicken at 325 at the same time.

In the end, you will need to think about how you cook, what your taste buds like (and dislike) and any compromises (if any) you may have to make.

I am very happy with my LSG cooker. It is easy to run, looks great and I can produce some very tasty food on it. Chris and Amber are great to deal with so I would recommend them if you chose to go the traditional offset route.

Good luck with you decision...

Lots of people can make very good smoked meat on any number of smokers. While there are flavor differences with most of them, whether you like one style or another really seems to be almost a regional thing (or what you grew up with).

Cheap gas grills and smokers will cook food. However, they are generally not as easy to use whether a sub-$100 gas grill from the big box store or a cheap smoker.

Whether it's worth it to you to spend the money to get a nice gas grill or smoker is a decision only you can make.

Never used a stick burner in my life. Thats a retirement gift for myself. I am 30 so its a long way until then.

THoey1963 is just trying to save you from making the same mistake he made. It was an expensive one for sure. I remember watching him go through it.

I know it is not what you asked but he means well.

My suggestion is simple... Ask if a few members that has one of these smokers if they would mind letting you get up close and take a test drive and show you the ropes. Then you can make a decision from there. Its a big decision.

You may love stick burning and you may not but you won't know until you get your hands dirty. Good luck with your decision.

No particular reason but I would get a Jambo. Its swahili for Thing.

The Shakar, I've had an LSG 24x48 offset for a couple of years. Before the LSG I had a reverse flow offset so I can offer you a couple of things that I learned from cooking on both.

First thing is both units were easy to run. Once you have a good coal bed and can maintain it, keeping a good temp range is as easy as adding a split or two every 30 - 45 minutes.

Now for differences:
After using the reverse flow cooker for over a year I figured out I did not like the flavor produced by grease from the food being cooked hitting the reverse flow plate and sizzling there. But this is purely personal as some people do like this additional flavor. Temperatures were pretty even across the entire cooker; some slight variation at the firebox side, but that is to be expected especially if the cooker is a smaller size.

The LSG I now have has tuning plates and if they are used I can get the temps within 5 degrees from side to side on the cooker. However, using the tuning plates I get the same issue of the grease hitting the tuning plates and producing that additional flavor I do not care for. So, i don't use the tuning plates.

Without the tuning plates I have a 50 degree difference in temps, i.e. 275 on the bottom left rack and 325 on the top right rack. For me and how I cook this turns out to be an advantage since I often cook 2-3 different meats at the same time. I can cook ribs/brisket at 275 while cooking a spatchcocked chicken at 325 at the same time.

In the end, you will need to think about how you cook, what your taste buds like (and dislike) and any compromises (if any) you may have to make.

I am very happy with my LSG cooker. It is easy to run, looks great and I can produce some very tasty food on it. Chris and Amber are great to deal with so I would recommend them if you chose to go the traditional offset route.

Good luck with you decision...

Thanks! This is really helpful

I'm really surprised the moderator hasn't stepped in here yet.
The Shaker,
Here is my take. Buy what you want, and won't give you buyer's remorse. We all have made rash smoker choices and regretted it. I built a beautiful trailer and never used it. Sold it for a loss, just like THoey.
I bought the large LSG IVS, decided it was too big sold it for a loss.
I build a sister pit to my trailer pit, and put it in my cooking area love it. (traditional off-set, no tuning plates, insulated fire box).
I bought the mini LSG IVS and love it. Sure I miss the large one from time to time, but I prefer the mini still after owning both.
I look and research smokers daily. I love looking at designs from new to used from custom built to "commercial" pits.
This is me. I can be a lazy cook. I like the LSG IV with a Guru for long cooks like brisket and pork butts. (8+ hour cooks)
I like my offset for ribs, chicken, etc. for 6 hour or less cooks
I like my Assassin Grill for grilling!
I like my weber kettle just because it will do it all.
These are the things I like. All the other guys on here are talking about what they like, and others are only trying to help you through the learning curve.
So, the question is what do you like? You will buy with your eyes first, and the learning will come with time.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the three choices. So, buy what you want!
Good luck!

I'm really surprised the moderator hasn't stepped in here yet.
The Shaker,
Here is my take. Buy what you want, and won't give you buyer's remorse. We all have made rash smoker choices and regretted it. I built a beautiful trailer and never used it. Sold it for a loss, just like THoey.
I bought the large LSG IVS, decided it was too big sold it for a loss.
I build a sister pit to my trailer pit, and put it in my cooking area love it. (traditional off-set, no tuning plates, insulated fire box).
I bought the mini LSG IVS and love it. Sure I miss the large one from time to time, but I prefer the mini still after owning both.
I look and research smokers daily. I love looking at designs from new to used from custom built to "commercial" pits.
This is me. I can be a lazy cook. I like the LSG IV with a Guru for long cooks like brisket and pork butts. (8+ hour cooks)
I like my offset for ribs, chicken, etc. for 6 hour or less cooks
I like my Assassin Grill for grilling!
I like my weber kettle just because it will do it all.
These are the things I like. All the other guys on here are talking about what they like, and others are only trying to help you through the learning curve.
So, the question is what do you like? You will buy with your eyes first, and the learning will come with time.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the three choices. So, buy what you want!
Good luck!

Thanks! Who built your custom off-set?

Me and my welder friend built both.
Trailer was a jambo clone, it is my profile picture.
The one currently in my backyard is a traditional flow.

Of the 3 you suggested, I would buy the Jambo. It has an insulated firebox, you can use tuning plates if you want even heat across. Personally, I think even heat is over rated. I like having hotter and cooler spots depending on how the cook is going.

Also

I also like buying used smokers. Its pretty hard to hurt an offset, and pretty easy to tell if it has been mistreated- ash sitting in the firebox, etc. Even newer ones get surface rust at some point, and a new one gets greasy pretty quick. Living in Texas, you can buy a lot of grill for $2,500, and this is the time of year to buy.

I also like buying used smokers. Its pretty hard to hurt an offset, and pretty easy to tell if it has been mistreated- ash sitting in the firebox, etc. Even newer ones get surface rust at some point, and a new one gets greasy pretty quick. Living in Texas, you can buy a lot of grill for $2,500, and this is the time of year to buy.

I live in East Texas and keep hoping to find a "diamond in the rough" but unfortunately, I have only seen pretty rough and over-priced offset stick burners where I live that were priced less than new.

While there are a lot of good builders in Texas, there is a world of difference in the 'economy' grade builders in various small or part-time welding shops and those from premium names like Jambo, Gatorpits, Johnson, Klose, LSG, etc.

The Alabama, Mississipi and, Tenessee areas seem to be a lot more promising for good entry and mid-level smokers in the general $1K to $2K price range from what I have seen. I'm sure there are similar options in the upper 'mid-plains' and farther East areas too along with SouthEastern smokers but, I'm not familiar with smoker options in those general areas other than premium 'big names'.

I'm not going wade into some of the debates from this thread, but since I was in the EXACT same position as you about two years ago. I will share my experience.

First to your question, my opinion is you can't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. You really just need to figure out if you want RF or straight flow and how long you're willing to wait for it.

My experience is this. Prior to my stick burner, my smoking was done using the smoker box on my gasser (Weber Summit Gold D), which put out some tasty meat but it had its own idiosyncrasies and was limited in volume it could turn out easily. I had been toying with getting a big box offset for a while but was concerned with frustration level and how it might perform in colder temps (I'm in NJ and smoke all winter long) based on the thin metal and mass fabrication factors. The turning point for me was this: I had had a very good business year, and I did a 18lb brisket for a Xmas party for my wife's friends. The brisket came out so good and to such raves that my wife said I should get myself a higher end as an Xmas present and as a reward for a good year. So that's what I did. I decided I liked the idea of more even temps across the smoker so I looked at RF and models with tuning plate systems. I decided to go RF and narrowed my choices down to Lang and Johnson. In the end I chose the Johnson 2D patio ( 24x48 ) I liked how the RF is done through the use of a pipe section and in speaking with Chad I felt comfortable going with them. Being in Texas, this probably won't be an issue for you, but the fact that Johnson also arranged all the shipping for me made the purchase totally headache free (shipping 1000lb smokers to NJ can be expensive and difficult I've found out).

In the end, I have no regrets. Do I use it as much as I thought I would.. no. But I still use it enough to feel good about it. Ultimately it is a hobby, and what makes it a hobby is spending some amount of money you can afford on something that you probably don't really need. So I am satisfied with my purchase and love being able to do big Cooks with various meats. Going "all-in" worked for me, if I had gone the big box route I'd likely be frustrated but still using whatever I got since I hate getting rid of stuff through craigslist etc... and I couldn't justify getting a new nice smoker while I still had something that sorta-kinda worked alright but not great. If you search my username and/or Johnson on this forum you'll come across some posts I did with photos receiving and using the smoker. The best decision I made in the process was going with the larger smoker (I was toying with saving $$ and getting the smaller model). The one thing I'll add is that a stick burner is definitely not a set it and forget it operation, you'll need to check on it at least once an hour for the duration of your cook.

My two cents is that only you can know what level of risk is acceptable on whether you will like a stick burner or not and how much you're willing to shell out to find out.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

One thing I would add in terms of the cost of a smoker. Because they are far more durable than many things you buy, the cost can be applied over a long number of years. My horizontal smoker is 25 years old, and my "new" vertical smoker -- which moved around the world with me over the years -- is 15 years old. So on a per-year basis the cost of a quality smoker is not high.

I'm not going wade into some of the debates from this thread, but since I was in the EXACT same position as you about two years ago. I will share my experience.

First to your question, my opinion is you can't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. You really just need to figure out if you want RF or straight flow and how long you're willing to wait for it.

My experience is this. Prior to my stick burner, my smoking was done using the smoker box on my gasser (Weber Summit Gold D), which put out some tasty meat but it had its own idiosyncrasies and was limited in volume it could turn out easily. I had been toying with getting a big box offset for a while but was concerned with frustration level and how it might perform in colder temps (I'm in NJ and smoke all winter long) based on the thin metal and mass fabrication factors. The turning point for me was this: I had had a very good business year, and I did a 18lb brisket for a Xmas party for my wife's friends. The brisket came out so good and to such raves that my wife said I should get myself a higher end as an Xmas present and as a reward for a good year. So that's what I did. I decided I liked the idea of more even temps across the smoker so I looked at RF and models with tuning plate systems. I decided to go RF and narrowed my choices down to Lang and Johnson. In the end I chose the Johnson 2D patio ( 24x48 ) I liked how the RF is done through the use of a pipe section and in speaking with Chad I felt comfortable going with them. Being in Texas, this probably won't be an issue for you, but the fact that Johnson also arranged all the shipping for me made the purchase totally headache free (shipping 1000lb smokers to NJ can be expensive and difficult I've found out).

In the end, I have no regrets. Do I use it as much as I thought I would.. no. But I still use it enough to feel good about it. Ultimately it is a hobby, and what makes it a hobby is spending some amount of money you can afford on something that you probably don't really need. So I am satisfied with my purchase and love being able to do big Cooks with various meats. Going "all-in" worked for me, if I had gone the big box route I'd likely be frustrated but still using whatever I got since I hate getting rid of stuff through craigslist etc... and I couldn't justify getting a new nice smoker while I still had something that sorta-kinda worked alright but not great. If you search my username and/or Johnson on this forum you'll come across some posts I did with photos receiving and using the smoker. The best decision I made in the process was going with the larger smoker (I was toying with saving $$ and getting the smaller model). The one thing I'll add is that a stick burner is definitely not a set it and forget it operation, you'll need to check on it at least once an hour for the duration of your cook.

My two cents is that only you can know what level of risk is acceptable on whether you will like a stick burner or not and how much you're willing to shell out to find out.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Thank you this is really helpful!

Back