MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chemical taste from KBB?

Personally, I’ve never noticed it and I’ve always used KBB. I can taste it when lighter fluid is used, especially the cheap dollar store stuff some people insist on using to “save money”. That’s why I use a chimney. I’ve never noticed a chemical taste from plain charcoal.

My question is this. If there is a noticeable chemical taste from charcoal that hasn’t ashed over, what about the Minion method? Wouldn’t you continually get the same chemical taste throughout the cook as the unlit coals light?
Similarly, wouldn’t adding fuel during a long cook cause the same chemical taste, or do y’all pre-light coal before adding in the chimney?

As I’ve said... still new to this long smoke game and learning. Thanks for you patience and indulgence.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I haven't noticed it either and I've used KBB for a longtime. I often wonder if people use lighter fluid and put the meat on the grill immediately before the fluid has burned off or if they get messy and get fluid all over the bottom of the grill. That stuff will sit there until it's hot enough to burn or evaporate and then you have fumes.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

In very long cooks, ash production from KBB could be an issue. Otherwise, I couldn't tell the difference between plain charcoal or lump.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, like I said. I never noticed it with any plain charcoal. Just when fluid is used. Since switching to a chimney starter... no issues.

My concern is that I may just be used to it, and others I cook for may be tasting it.

VR,
Harold.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

That is a darn good question about the minion method,Wook, and one I have never heard a good answer to. I never use that method myself out of just that concern.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydQ View Post
That is a darn good question about the minion method,Wook, and one I have never heard a good answer to. I never use that method myself out of just that concern.

I use the Minion method often. Use it almost 100% of the time on my WSM. I’ve never noticed it, but as I said, I’m concerned about others tasting it.

VR,
Harold

Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
smoke ninja

The raw charcoal smell goes away when all the unlit coals are super heated. They will then light clean from that point.

Personally I can taste the raw charcoal smell in all but the cleanest of minion burns. I prefer lump

Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

I doubt they source their sawdust from one mill, and even if they did, I doubt the same wood, from the same trees, from the same areas are consistently used.

I do know when they changed from 2x20 to 2x18.6 packs, I noticed a difference. ...and confirmed since I had some 2x20 left when I first noticed to compare with. Really don't notice when cooking, only when starting chimney. I do burn them down pretty far before grilling, and don't smoke with them.

I guess just go with it until you or someone you cook for notices....it's cheap and burns well.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
The raw charcoal smell goes away when all the unlit coals are super heated. They will then light clean from that point.

Personally I can taste the raw charcoal smell in all but the cleanest of minion burns. I prefer lump

I may have to give lump a try. Although I’ve read here that it burns hotter and faster, so isn’t good for a WSM...

What are you running lump in?

VR,
Harold

Old 07-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post
I may have to give lump a try. Although I’ve read here that it burns hotter and faster, so isn’t good for a WSM...

VR,
Harold

I run lump in my uds. I tried briquettes a few times and it just isn't as clean to me. Back when I had an 18 wsm i was about 50/50 using charcoal and chunks. Half the time I had an off taste. Guess I got a sensitive palate.

I use kingsford for grilling.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I run lump in my uds. I tried briquettes a few times and it just isn't as clean to me. Back when I had an 18 wsm i was about 50/50 using charcoal and chunks. Half the time I had an off taste. Guess I got a sensitive palate.

I use kingsford for grilling.

I’m probably gonna give lump a try. Like they say.... Ya don’t know, ‘till ya know.

VR,
Harold.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I used nothing but lump in kamado for over a year, and I asked my wife to pick me up some charcoal and she bought KBB. I never use lighter fluid and always used the Minion method. I didn't pay attention to the smell of the coals in the chimney, but once I poured them onto non-lit coals in the firebox I noticed the smell IMMEDIATELY. I still had thin blue smoke after a few minutes coming out the exhaust damper, but the smell was horrible. I could smell and taste it on my food, and I absolutely hated it.

My family didn't notice much of a difference, if any, so my your mileage will vary I guess. After that cook I cleaned out the firebox and threw away the rest of the KBB and I haven't gone near it sense and likely never will. Lump, in my experience, burns better and more consistently anyways so I don't see the appeal of briquettes.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post

VR,
Harold

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I know I will get some boos and hisses from this, but I combat the chemical taste from KBB with......Lighter Fluid! Seriously, douse the whole pile, don't let it soak in, and hit it with a match. When the whole shebang is ashed over and burning thin smoke, add your chunks and smoke away. The KBB is just heat at that point and the smell is gone.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #15
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

My wife and I can taste the "chemical taste" described using KBB and no lighter fluid with the minion method. I have since switched to Weber charcoal (no taste at all) or lump. I understand that everybody has differences in taste, this was just unpleasant enough for me to necessitate a change.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote