MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #46
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey3115 View Post
Way to confuse the issue! Lol. Thanks for the input. I love the look and build quality of them. And I can buy it from a local bbq shop.
Yoder is not what I would call quality. Look at the legs on it. They just welded on some round tube and tacked on little square feet. The wheels are made from flat bar. Same junk you see on all big box store smokers. Thats not quality, thats cutting corners. Everything is done half ass on it.

LSG is way better quality. Its not even close.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #47
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Don't know how long you intend on owning the cooker but if it's a lifetime $300 more is a drop in the bucket, if it's not affordable right now be patient and keep saving the founds to get what you really want, buy once cry once.
I agree with this. Thirty+ years ago, when I bought my first horizontal offset, it cost what was a lot of money to me at the time. A lot! But 30+ years later it’s still sittin outside, ready to go. And most of that time it has sat outside in the weather uncovered!

If I now break down what I paid into an annual sum, its something like $25. And it has delivered to me exponentially more value than that. Moreover, when I think about the years of frustration I could have suffered had I gone cheaper back then, I’m even more happy I did what I did.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #48
Flatbroke
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Flatbroke

Casey3115 if going with Lang can you swing the extra cost of the 48 original patio model? The shipping is the same as the 36 would be. And it is a 24 inch diameter as opposed to the 20 inch. Also look at the 36 stretch model. It is the same length as the 60 I believe but a lot more less expensive than the 60.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #49
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Yoder is not what I would call quality. Look at the legs on it. They just welded on some round tube and tacked on little square feet. The wheels are made from flat bar. Same junk you see on all big box store smokers. Thats not quality, thats cutting corners. Everything is done half ass on it.

LSG is way better quality. Its not even close.
I do agree that LSG looks a lot better built. I do however think the quality is much nicer than the big box stores. Heavy steel, those legs are welded on, not a bolt together wobbly mess. It is also made in America and the big box junk is mostly made in China.
Casey3115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #50
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Something else I wanted to ask. I have been working on a design for an offset smoker I could build myself and am wondering what everyone's favorite baffle/heat management, system is.
Lang and meadow Creek have similar looking reverse flow designs.
LSGs 20" models have a vertical battle at the fire box side to get the smoke and heat to move up and across the chamber.
The horizon and countless other models have the "typical" flow through design and some offer baffles with holes, and other devices to try to even out the temps.
Having different temperatures across the chamber really isn't an issue as long as your aware and arrange food accordingly. Comes in handy sometimes actually.

Any thoughts or options are appreciated.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #51
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbroke View Post
Casey3115 if going with Lang can you swing the extra cost of the 48 original patio model? The shipping is the same as the 36 would be. And it is a 24 inch diameter as opposed to the 20 inch. Also look at the 36 stretch model. It is the same length as the 60 I believe but a lot more less expensive than the 60.
No I won't spend that much. If I budge on my budget from 1500 I will end up with the LSG 20 x 36. I can get the LSG shipped for the base cost of the 48 Lang.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #52
Flatbroke
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Flatbroke

Looking forward to seeing which ever you choose.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #53
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Just wanted to point out that the guy talking about his Wichita preheated his wood splits INSIDE the firebox. Yoder is the only design out there where you have to do that kind of silly stuff to try to make it work properly.

Sounds like you're going down a pretty good path with the new LSG and right now those appear to be pretty much the best bang for the buck.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #54
SWMN
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : SLZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Just wanted to point out that the guy talking about his Wichita preheated his wood splits INSIDE the firebox. Yoder is the only design out there where you have to do that kind of silly stuff to try to make it work properly.
Just to be clear, you don't have to do that. I prefer to do it that way because hot wood ignites faster and cleaner, whether you're burning it in a smoker or on a campfire.

I know you have an older Cheyenne and dislike it. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, because I know that isn't likely. I'm just trying to help those that have read the old threads that don't really pertain to the new smokers (at least not the Wichita), now that they've been redesigned.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #55
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMN View Post
Just to be clear, you don't have to do that. I prefer to do it that way because hot wood ignites faster and cleaner, whether you're burning it in a smoker or on a campfire.

I know you have an older Cheyenne and dislike it. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, because I know that isn't likely. I'm just trying to help those that have read the old threads that don't really pertain to the new smokers (at least not the Wichita), now that they've been redesigned.
That's fine but it's straight out of the Yoder "playbook." They did everything they possibly could to deny that they had an issue, up to and including that you should preheat kiln-dried wood inside the firebox. On my Johnson Smokers offset I've never needed to preheat my wood because it drafts properly and once I get a good coal bed it's easy to maintain.

https://youtu.be/YCX5C0DIrfc?t=49

Old 07-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #56
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

So now I’ve got to preheat sticks when my offset arrives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #57
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
So now I’ve got to preheat sticks when my offset arrives?

No. But not every piece of wood you get wont be perfect or perfectly seasoned. It helps. Even if you have the most perfectly designed and drafting pit on earth, pre heated wood simply ignites better.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #58
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey3115 View Post
Something else I wanted to ask. I have been working on a design for an offset smoker I could build myself and am wondering what everyone's favorite baffle/heat management, system is.
Lang and meadow Creek have similar looking reverse flow designs.
LSGs 20" models have a vertical battle at the fire box side to get the smoke and heat to move up and across the chamber.
The horizon and countless other models have the "typical" flow through design and some offer baffles with holes, and other devices to try to even out the temps.
Having different temperatures across the chamber really isn't an issue as long as your aware and arrange food accordingly. Comes in handy sometimes actually.

Any thoughts or options are appreciated.

I have a Klose traditional flow. If I was going to build a small backyard smoker I would do a top flow design (Jambo or new LSG) or reverse flow. I think traditional flow on small cookers is not a great idea. Theres just too much heat from the firebox, then fire itself coming in the cook chamber. It's just too much and tough to escape in a small space.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #59
Casey3115
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I have a Klose traditional flow. If I was going to build a small backyard smoker I would do a top flow design (Jambo or new LSG) or reverse flow. I think traditional flow on small cookers is not a great idea. Theres just too much heat from the firebox, then fire itself coming in the cook chamber. It's just too much and tough to escape in a small space.
I agree. I have the pit I would like to build mostly designed and it is currently configured as a reverse flow. Last night I saw some interior pictures of a Jambo back yard model and thought the design was compelling. Very similar to the LSG as well. I may be modifying my plans.