Enhanced ribs

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My local grocery store has spare ribs and baby backs that are enhanced with up to a 12% solution of water salt and pork broth does this have any affect on the taste of the ribs

I get the smithfield extra tenders on occasion and like them. The hammy taste can be there, but I don't really notice it if at all.

I've found them to be hammy.. but not all the time.. I guess they are inconsistent.

Go over and search “Smithfield ETs” (enhanced ribs) in the competition forum and you’ll find a LOT of big time, winning BBQ comp teams use them almost exclusively. I’ve cooked them side by side with regular ribs and liked the ETs better... As always, YMMV. Best thing is that they are cheaper at Wally World and come in a single pack rather than a 3 pack so you can see what you’re getting (no shiners).

I like them. I have found a direct correlation to the hammy taste/texture with how long they have been in the solution. I have a meat manager at a local grocery store that grabs me some as they come in frozen and then leaves them frozen for me. Then I can thaw and cook and they only spend a few days resting in the solution.

I dislike the hammy flavor of enhanced ribs. I only put a light coating of rub on and the flavor of the meat comes through. If you like a heavy coat of rub and/or sauce heavily, it makes less of a difference. Some say they can't tell the difference in taste. Definitely, use less salt.

I used Smithfield ETs for most of a competition season and loved them. Wish I could consistently find them again. Never had the hammy taste or texture.

Used them twice and did not care for them at all. Cooked the Smithfield extra tenders.

It's got me curious. Those who like enhanced, how heavily do you apply the rub and sauce? Do you do the wrap with margarine and stuff? With enhanced meat frequently being less expensive, the info could help some. For example, my local Krogers charges around twice as much for non-enhanced ribs.

It's got me curious. Those who like enhanced, how heavily do you apply the rub and sauce? Do you do the wrap with margarine and stuff? With enhanced meat frequently being less expensive, the info could help some. For example, my local Krogers charges around twice as much for non-enhanced ribs.

I've only had them few times, I usually get ribs from Butcher shop near me, so I don't often get enhanced.

I know one time I did wrap in foil and added butter, brown sugar, and honey to follow Malcom reed. They weren't my preferred style, but they were good

USUALLY when I do ribs I make a rub, or chocolate chili ribs, and thats it. I do occasionally like them sauced so go that route as well

I had them before and never was a fan but of course it is a matter of personal taste. I think the injection also makes them weigh more so you sort of pay more for water and salt.

I had them before and never was a fan but of course it is a matter of personal taste. I think the injection also makes them weigh more so you sort of pay more for water and salt.

Guaranteed. When you see the label that the OP mentioned it means ~12% of the weight you're paying for is salt/water solution.

Personally I dislike enhanced meat products because I like to control the seasoning/flavoring myself, more than anything having to do with them tasting "hammy" or whatever. If I'm taking the time to make food from scratch I don't want any additional flavors/chemicals added to my ingredients.

But then I don't buy many, if any, of the standard convenience type foods that most people don't bat an eyelash at.

I follow my same process. They usually end up cooking faster.

I like the Smithfield ET's as long as rub is applied sparingly (1/2 the normal amount). My favorite Smithfield ET's are the rib tips "Brisket Bones" they are super tender, very meaty, cheap and done in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Back