MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Default Fogo lump charcoal is awesome

Stopped in my local Ace Hardware to buy a sprinkler. While looking down the aisles to find the sprinklers a few bags of Big Green Egg lump caught my eye in an aisle. I stopped and thought "Cool, they carry Green Egg lump I will keep that in mind". I have used it before and liked it. Then I saw stacks of some other bags but could not see what it was. So being curious I had to look.

Then I saw it. FOGO! Awesome! I have heard good things about it. I did not really need any but wanted to try it. So I grabbed a bag. When i opened it it was full of huge pieces. Bigger than any lump I have ever seen. Almost too big to fit in the charcoal chimney. I dont know if theres a bunch of shake at the bottom. There may be some, but I dont think it was be 1/3 useless shake like most brands.

Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

How much did that bag run you? That looks like some damn fine lump, it actually looks like it used to be wood.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Its a 17 pound bag. I dont remember price. I think it was $23. Something like that. Yes the piece look like actual wood.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

I used Fogo exclusively until recently receiving a bag that would crackle and pop for a good 30 minutes straight after lighting it. I don't know if this is normal for lump, but it was my first time experiencing it with Fogo. That combined with the high price tag lead me to switch. I did like the big pieces (sometimes too the point I'd have to get a hatchet and break them into smaller pieces) and relatively little shake.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

$32 and some change on Amazon for a 17.6lb bag, a bit pricey I'd say.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
sudsandswine

Well you gotta pay for your free shipping after all

Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
chiefblue
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : chief

Wish I could find some, not much variety in my area. About 40 miles away, I can get "The Good One" and "Rockwood". I prefer Rockwood, it's been the best I've had since Hasty-Bake sold there own that was rebranded from Ozark Oak (which went out of business).

I also can get B&B so might give that a try.

Currently on my last bag of Rockwood.

I have one bag of Basque Sugar Maple Charcoal, that I purchased a couple years ago that is the next bag to be opened.

Last edited by chiefblue; 06-15-2018 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: typo
chiefblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

At nearly 2 bucks/pound, more than I pay for a butt, I just can't see it. Of course, I'm a cheap sob...
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
$32 and some change on Amazon for a 17.6lb bag, a bit pricey I'd say.
I hear you. I have no doubt it's great lump, but at the rate I burn through lump here, I'd be broke in no time.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yup. That stuff is great, but very pricey. I keep a bag around for whenever I need to get a fire going hot really quickly. That chit burns hot! Otherwise I do the Best of the West/Lazarri/RO - whichever is cheapest and easiest to get (i.e. I'm at the store and go "oh yeah, I need charcoal" at the moment. I'll also grab El Diablo when I'm at Costco business center.

All that said, Fogo burns the best out of all of 'em, esp. since it's not practical for me to get Wicked Good, B&B, etc.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote