Stepping up a hand me down

okiesmokie78

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So my grandfather passed last year and my grandma calls me and says: "Do you want grandpas old smoker/grill?" Well sure I do, I'll come get 'er! Well after going to get this behemoth and transporting it home I start contemplating if I should have or not! It is obviously a one off home built cooker, and she does fantastic as a grill. However on the smoking side of things its a little hard to manage. The offset "firebox" (if you will) is only 6-8" round and the only way to control air flow in is the door that is hinged at the top, no real way of dialing it in. I don't really remember watching grandpa cook on this thing but I do remember eating the food from it and it was amazing. I just don't get how he did it! My method is to lay down a small bed of coals on the grate that slides in and out from the firebox and then once they are going good I lay splits on top to gain my fire. While this method works it is very tedious and requires constant tending. So my question is: How can I fix this? My thought was to cut the firebox off and weld a larger, square box with a coal basket and hinged lid to gain easier access. I just hate to destroy what my grandpa built but i also would like to make this thing a little more user friendly. Thoughts, Ideas?

w1jfIeN.jpg
Vh1eSXe.jpg

L6HrnrM.jpg

I don't think rebuilding it to add a coal basket is the answer. It's a stick burner. They require tending.

Build ya a fire, drink some beers, and remember your grandpa every time you cook on it. Get the same pleasure he got out of it by doing it the same way he did.

I don't know what tools you have, and your skills. But one of these installed in that firebox door might work.
s-l1000.jpg

Z

I Googled "smoker wheel vent" to get the picture.
Other than that, a cheap angle grinder and a couple of wire brushes, and some heat-resistant paint, and you could be good for years.
But then, I enjoy the process of doing these things.

I cant add much, but that firebox does look small. From the pit building info i have seen in the past, to have good airflow, it should be at least 1/3 the size of the cooking area. If you want to tackle it, i can only help with labor...you are too far away for that.

Maybe you should treat it like a wood burning gravity feed. If you say it grills well then build a small fire right at the opening of the cook chamber. Set it up like you would indirect heat on a Weber or a PK grill. Then you can feed wood or coals to that fire. Keep pushing it down the chute as the coals burn down?

No idea if it would work. May be worth trying.

Doing the same myself right now...got ahold of my great grandfathers hand built in 80s/early 90s..spent entire life outside and yet still cleaning up well...made heavy....enjoy the project and enjoy the memories...my grill came with a ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing the same myself right now...got ahold of my great grandfathers hand built in 80s/early 90s..spent entire life outside and yet still cleaning up well...made heavy....enjoy the project and enjoy the memories...my grill came with a ton

d8daee6a559929f22b87598ff00409ed.heic

I don't think it's even a firebox... I think it's more of a draft tunnel... like he'd maybe build his fire in the grill itself, then move the coals in front of the pipe so he could draw air across them and heat the inside of the cooker... It's pretty old school, but it can work if you know what you're doing (and I don't, but I've seen similar home builds that were done back in the 60's and 70's) ...

I'd clean it up n Play with it As Is- Don't wanna Kill Granpa's Mojo........leave the firebox door open n feed it Mini Splits. Split your splits and maybe again.
Buy a kindling cracker.........

Hard to argue with that:thumb:
Work that smoker comes to mind

I don't think it's even a firebox... I think it's more of a draft tunnel... like he'd maybe build his fire in the grill itself, then move the coals in front of the pipe so he could draw air across them and heat the inside of the cooker... It's pretty old school, but it can work if you know what you're doing (and I don't, but I've seen similar home builds that were done back in the 60's and 70's) ...

That might could work, Id have to modify the grate though. Right now it has a large slot grill grate as a base and then a piece of expanded metal to cook on.

I bet some great food came out of that cooker! :cool::thumb:

I bet some great food came out of that cooker! :cool::thumb:

Yes maam! And as far as grilling goes Ive made some great stuff myself on it. But smoking on the other hand was a little bit of a learning curve. Smoked an 8lb pork butt and it took 6 1/2 hours of constant tending and still had to finish in the oven for about 45 mins. I just gotta learn it!

Back