MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Bob E Que
On the road to being a farker

Default Buying a Weber OTS

I going be buy one this Thursday. Now I have so many questions.
What seasoning is required before I use it? For indirect cooking should I get fire bricks? reference: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...994#6750042994
Minion method - put the lit 'coals the end or the middle of the unlit?
What is the best way to measure the grill temp?
I was thinking ribs for the first smoke. That gives me a few hours Friday to play with temps before having to put the meat on.

Thanks in advance. PRON to come.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

No seasoning required, the kettle is made with a porcelain enamel coating. Clean the grids before using the first time and hit with a little oil to help keep them clean.

I do indirect grilling on mine all the time, but I am thinking your questions are more suited to low and slow BBQ cooking, so I will save that for someone else to answer. I use my WSM's for that.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

If you want to do Lo n' Slo........STOP!!!!!!!!!!! Get used to the kettle first. You can BBQ on a Weber kettle but that will take some practice, charcoal rails and allot of patience. Fire up your new baby and cook some burgers, wings and things. Don't try to get to complicated. The beauty of the kettle is how it cooks. Learn to play it then investigate.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

if ya want to smoke something then do a pork butt. very forgiving. coals on one side and meat on the other. there are many fine tricks to do but a read at the weber site will get you well on yer way. minion is usually a pile of coals with about twelve or so lit ones on top.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

ps, learn to cook the indirect way. similar to how you would set up to smoke. many will cook to temp indirectly and then put the food above the hot coals for that last char for great results.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I purchased fire bricks a while back when I first read that thread you linked to.

Now I honestly can't remember how I ever got along without them. There have been times when I've been able to get 15+ hour burns on one load of charcoal.

Best "accessory" ever! :)
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
suprfast
Take a breath!

What do you consider a "load"?

All good stuff. Just confiscated a weber kettle from my FIL for neglecting it and i want to use the kettle instead of the drums for the moment.
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

If you're gonna do ribs for your first smoke then I say bank your coals on one side and use minion method. Drop a temp probe down one of the top vent holes like this:

Have your bottom vents 100% open to start and then close the bottom vents down as you reach your target temp. Use a rib rack to get multiple racks on the indirect side and let 'er rip! Good luck!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

There is some good reading in that link,I use fire bricks all the time for 2 zone cooking.I use the foil under the cool side to direct the air flow over the coals and a water pan under the meat.I think I might cut the bricks so they dont over lap this weekend.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #10
Spode
Got Wood.

I use a cheap oven thermometer from a kitchen shop on the grill, and I drop a probe in the top. I get a 50deg difference between the two.

For Minion I put a basket of coal on one side and put 10 lit ones on top, then let it go. I put a foil tray of water on the grill on top of the fire and move it more on or off as I want to control the temperature, that seems the most instant way of doing it. I end up closing the vents easily two thirds, but it will depend on how the temperature on the grill is going.

Ribs or pulled pork are easy, but to get started why not roast a whole chicken, and you can add some smoke too.
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

deffinitley get the bricks, way better than the baskets

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the thread and the link Bob E Que - I just got a kettle and this has been very informative.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprfast View Post
What do you consider a "load"?

kris
In the case of the 15 hour burn I was speaking of it was basically all the charcoal I could cram in the other half of the kettle. ;) I basically put the fire bricks around the half way mark and filled up all the space on the other side. Worked great. I used K so I did have to stir out the ash once the next morning.

Worked great though.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
King
Full Fledged Farker

+1 for the smokenator that was mentioned in the tvwbb. If you want to hit the ground running and start smoking, I recommend this. It also gives you extra cooking surface compared to using fire bricks.
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
Bob E Que
On the road to being a farker

Default Thanks for all you help

I appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

I went by the Home depot on the way to work today.
The display model was on sale for 1/2 price. It has a few dings, and it is a DO date (2005).
It is my kettle, so like me, a few dings should be expected.
I bought some high temp paint to clear those up.
I have a grill, with the flip edges, in my drum so I might switch them.
I will have to cook something for lunch tomorrow, just to try it out.
I will get some pron if i can focus on anything besides my Weber.
Second shift sucks when you have a new grill in your car.

I said Thursday was the day I was going to buy it, but the weather was so nice. Why wait?

Last edited by Bob E Que; 03-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: because I jumped the gun.
Bob E Que is offline   Reply With Quote