Super Stubby UDS

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've had this 1/3 of a barrel laying around for quite awhile. First it was a transportable fire pit. But no one really used it very often.
Driving me nuts as it became a collect all of loose steel.
Anyway, I did not have to buy anything to build. As I have stuff laying around. AND all my UDS stuff fit's it.
So it's about 24.5" high total with lid handle. Grill height is around 14.5" tall.
The coal grate is a 22" grate with 3.25" high sides of expanded metal. At 18.5" round. I use this when searing in my drum. I can set to grate to many different levels in my drum. Works perfect for this application as I probably won't be searing in my drum any longer. 2 levels to set in this smoker/cooker.
There is a drip pan/deflector grate or again coal grate.
Then the grilling/smoking grate.
I'm guessing this should go 6 to 8 hrs, maybe 10 hrs at 275* on one load. Being 18.5 in round/3.25" high.
I might have to find an old gas grill cart to set it on. Still want to keep it easy to transport.
On to the photo's. Not I did not paint it yet. And yes I have some fatty's planned soon. :becky:
Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• 24 in high.jpg
    24 in high.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 230
  • coal grate in.jpg
    coal grate in.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 228
  • drip pan 1.jpg
    drip pan 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 228
  • drip pan 2.jpg
    drip pan 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 227
  • grill grate.jpg
    grill grate.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 228
  • sear grate.jpg
    sear grate.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 227
  • complete 1.jpg
    complete 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 228
That is awesome! I can't wait to see how it goes after the first cook!

That is super cool! We think alike lol. I actually just disposed of one third of a UDS that I was using just like you are only with a flat lid. I didn't have the same fire grate configuration that you do and mine ended up being a better grill then a smoker. I stripped it down this last weekend and tossed The remains out to the curb for scrap. But I like what you're doing because it's fun to experiment with the small drums. nobody wants to give them a chance but if you get them set up right you can do just as good of Q as the full-size jobs. Nice work!

Very unique and useful for a number of cooks. It was nice that you had everything just lying around.

Where do you come up with all these ideas! Can't wait to see it in action. Would be a great heat source for a Dutch oven also!
Don't know, they come to me. Sometimes it takes awhile :doh:
I was thinking a large Wok would work nicely also.
I'll have to buy a new one. The one I had for 40 some years got "borrowed" a few years ago from one of my sibling's.
Haven't seen it since. :shock:
Like I mentioned, that 1/3 drum has been sitting/taking up space for quite awhile. I just couldn't throw it away.
I wasn't out anything but my time.
After building it, I think I am going to really like it.
I'll be taking this along on trips instead of my mini wsm. Not that much more room to take.
Time will tell.
Thanks

Interesting and creative Tom, I await the action shots

My pizza lid, grate, pizza stone fit this super stubby also. :thumb:
I modified the grate so I could add wood chucks thru out a cook. (before I built this stubby)
Sprayed with Pam. I pretty much filled the coal basket.
Got it lit. Took it up to 350* in a few minutes after getting going. That was a bit less than 1/2 open intake.
Brought it back down to 225*. Put on 2 fatties. With my apple sauce and dry rub. Crusing along at 235*.
Well see how this goes. I plan on letting the coals burn till temps start to drop. To get an idea how long of a cook this coal basket will do.
Updates later.
Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• crusing 235 degs.jpg
    crusing 235 degs.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 102
  • fatties on.jpg
    fatties on.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 101
  • fire cube gone.jpg
    fire cube gone.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 101
  • pizza lid.jpg
    pizza lid.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 101
  • pizza stone grate.jpg
    pizza stone grate.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 102
I like it! That's good design and size. I'm surprised there isn't commercial product of similar size and features yet.

Well after checking on the fatties a couple times. Intake closed while checking. It is hard to keep the smoker down to 300*. Too large of an intake for lower temps. Even the smallest eyebrow open maintains around 300*. See below.
I know I need the large intake for when doing pizza's. So easy fix. Add another smaller intake. I should have that done later today.
I'm still letting the smoker go till the temps drop so I have an idea of how long a coal basket will last. Not that I need it for long cooks! Just want to know.
I'll get it dialed in.
On to a couple more pics.

Attachments

• fatties done.jpg
    fatties done.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 300 deg.jpg
    300 deg.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 87
It may be stubby but it must be pretty damn heavy to crack your driveway like that!:p

Well after checking on the fatties a couple times. Intake closed while checking. It is hard to keep the smoker down to 300*. Too large of an intake for lower temps. Even the smallest eyebrow open maintains around 300*. See below.
I know I need the large intake for when doing pizza's. So easy fix. Add another smaller intake. I should have that done later today.
I'm still letting the smoker go till the temps drop so I have an idea of how long a coal basket will last. Not that I need it for long cooks! Just want to know.
I'll get it dialed in.
On to a couple more pics.

I have noticed on all my stubbies that it takes a lot less intake to run higher temps than it ever did in my full size due to less area being heated. In fact my full size drums sat on a wooden platform with wheels for a long time with no issue. My stubbies started to burn the wooden platform from the heat and I needed to replace the supports with steel bars lol. They get hotter overall.

So after I removed the fatties. I let it run as is. 3.5 hrs at 375*. So at 6 hrs of cooking temps, say averaging 350*. Here are how many coals are left and still going. I'm sure there is enough to get to at least 7 hrs if not 8 hrs.
Which is more than I need from this cooker. :clap2:
Under the cooker wood was only warm to the touch. If that. So no problem from heat under the cooker. I'd say for me, this is a welcome addition to the smoking/grill arsenal.

Attachments

• coals at 6 hrs 350 deg (1).jpg
    coals at 6 hrs 350 deg (1).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 64
  • coals at 6 hrs 350 deg (2).jpg
    coals at 6 hrs 350 deg (2).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 64
So I added a second smaller intake. This should make adjusting lower temps easier.
Right now I can not see any more mods. But ya never know!

Attachments

• dual intake (2).jpg
    dual intake (2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16
  • dual intake (1).jpg
    dual intake (1).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 16
Back