Powder coat or decal?

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I would like to get my 270 Smokers Sumo powder coated. Anyone know someone who does good work but doesn't cost a mint and deals in small volume. Someone within 4 hours at the most from Pittsburgh.
Either that or someone who can print a logo that I can slap on the door of my Sumo to cover up the discoloration. I just don't know if there is something that can take the heat. It is an insulated cabinet smoker if that makes a difference.
Thanks guys.

If you're going to powder coat, you will need someone that does High Temp. Regular powdercoat is only good to about 300* max. Your best bet is to look on Google or the yellow pages in your area.

I don't even know where Pittsburgh is, let alone if there's a Powder Coater there.

Another old Racers Adage, Chrome don't make it go.

Another idea for you to ponder, they sell 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of printable magnet stock. Maybe you could print something custom to put over the disfigured area, and just move it during use?

Second idea, a potted plant in a rolling stand?

Third idea, BBQ cover.

I don't even know where Pittsburgh is, let alone if there's a Powder Coater there.

Another old Racers Adage, Chrome don't make it go.

Another idea for you to ponder, they sell 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of printable magnet stock. Maybe you could print something custom to put over the disfigured area, and just move it during use?

Second idea, a potted plant in a rolling stand?

Third idea, BBQ cover.

Pittsburgh, PA

I was looking for someone that someone has used.

Chrome don't make it go but sure does make it look good when it goes.

I don't really want to have to worry about moving a magnet.

I don't want to take care of a pot plant as they are still illegal under federal law. Hiding that from the po po would be a pain. :becky:

A Bbq cover is what caused the problem to begin with.

Why don't you sand it down and paint it with high temp paint yourself if you have a place to do it??

I think that would make it look worse. I am not exactly an artist.

No need to be an artist, Tom.

You could get it done on a Saturday. I'm willing to bet you can find a video online that will give you some tips.

Or, just take it somewhere local, have them sandblast and paint. Maybe a couple hundred bucks, tops.

If it's just the door, I bet you can ask 270 the brand/color of the paint they're using and just paint the door yourself. It's really not too hard.

If it's just the door, I bet you can ask 270 the brand/color of the paint they're using and just paint the door yourself. It's really not too hard.
I am not going to get into it to much but I won't be talking to them about this further. I will leave it at that. Sometimes its better to just forget it.

No need to be an artist, Tom.

You could get it done on a Saturday. I'm willing to bet you can find a video online that will give you some tips.

Or, just take it somewhere local, have them sandblast and paint. Maybe a couple hundred bucks, tops.

My hands shake to much to do a nice job but maybe getting someone else to sand blast it and paint it might be a good idea. I wonder if an auto body shop could do that. I think I may look into it.

My hands shake to much to do a nice job but maybe getting someone else to sand blast it and paint it might be a good idea. I wonder if an auto body shop could do that. I think I may look into it.

They should be able to, no problem. Body shop may charge too much, though.

See if you can find a local fab shop that builds trailers or cookers. They would do it cheaper.

This may not be too PC (politically correct) and no offense intended to anyone or any group or ethnicity ...

An autobody shop paint booth can do the work but, is likely way too expensive. Typically there will be a painter that does side jobs that works at the body shop.

In my area, Latino/Hispanic men are a good place to start for the type of job you need. Especially if you find someone that has done or is doing a low rider or similar personal vehicle. For ~$100 you can probably get what you want done when you find the right person to do a side job on your smoker door.

Rustoleum looks pretty good without much trouble, could get a nephew to wire brush->wipe with acetone->(prime?)->paint. I'm a fan of the primer for better adhesion to imperfect surfaces, but it requires patience I rarely possess

Back