MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

How long depends on time and how large of a butt.
A #6 can be done quick. #10ers take alot more time.
If you are wanting cripsy crust. Any sauce you add will diminish that crust. Unless the sauce has alot of sugar.
You could always raise the temp to 300* to cook faster. Your choice.
Also, once you wrap and hold. If in foil, you will end up with a darker bark than when you first wrapped.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
87Olds
Knows what a fatty is.

Done! Pulled at 195, at almost 5 oclock. Nearly 20 hours! This thing looks beautiful (if the bark gets darker, that's fine with me)!

This was a 6# butt. Got a taste of the meat...delicious! It is now wrapped and in a pan with ice in a cooler. I will pull the meat in the morning, and put it in the crock pot to warm up. May add the rub when I do that. Having that extra fat on the bottom should make it really good! Might add some of the home made sauce to it.

That was the longest cook I ever did. Pretty tired...took a few naps off and on. Smoker performed perfectly. Really impressed with it. Glad I invested in a set of the bear paws...they really helped when getting it off the grate. Wife was impressed how it turned out...that's a good thing!

Last edited by 87Olds; 10-05-2019 at 05:25 PM..
87Olds is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #18
87Olds
Knows what a fatty is.

Roast turned out pretty good. Didn't have too much smoke.

Finished product (not great image quality)

Overall, flavor was pretty good, although a little drier than I had hoped. Still had a lot of compliments. I'll make some changes and adjustments next time. Really appreciate the tips and advice. I'm keeping a log of what I did, so next time it will make it even better.

Will be trying a turkey soon, and possibly spare ribs. Need to see if this smoker will do 325 for the turkey...need to be able to render the fat under the skin. May spatchcock it to make sure it is done.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #19
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

It was a six pound butt and it took 20 hours to get to 195?
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2019, 05:01 AM   #20
87Olds
Knows what a fatty is.

Not sure why it took so long. Still came out pretty good. Might have been too cold when I put it on. Was at 41 degrees...might need to let it come up more the next time. Will be making some other changes to improve it and cut the time, also. I guess that's part of the learning curve.

Last edited by 87Olds; 10-07-2019 at 05:29 AM..
87Olds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Did you have a second thermometer to test the temp inside the cooker or were you just using the one on the door?
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #22
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Looks amazing...although the 20 hours is a hefty amount of time. I would probably cook a little warmer next time, but you are the only one having to man the pit. If you were pleased with the flavor and the temp and the time didn't bother you keep on keeping on. Did you put rub on while tearing apart?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #23
87Olds
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Did you have a second thermometer to test the temp inside the cooker or were you just using the one on the door?
Yes, I used a remote thermometer, shown in one of my earlier pictures. I did some testing tonight, and may have found out why it took so long. This will be long winded, so here goes:

I moved the probe to different places in the smoker, starting with the original position on an upper rack, near the middle of the smoker. I took out the chip pan and water pan for the tests. There was a large difference in temperature between the remote and the door thermometer (around 35-40 degrees). I moved the thermometer down to the rack I cooked on, trying it in the front first, then the back. The closest I got to the temperature on the door was in the center of the rack, near the back. This is slightly lower than the door thermometer. At that spot, it was nearly dead-on.

I tried the upper rack, and got higher temperatures than with the lower rack, even though it varied depending on where it was placed. What it looks like to me is that if you have the probe on a upper rack, and in the area where the heat is exhausted, you'll get a higher reading (which makes sense). What I realized is that I had placed the meat on a rack two positions up from where the water pan was, and the probe was another two positions up from that. Not only that, it was near where the heat was exhausted. I believe that I was actually cooking at a lower temp than I should have been. Lesson learned: keep the probe on the same rack, if possible. It also seems to make sense to put the meat higher if you want a higher temp (heat rises). I know this sounds pretty obvious, but I am still learning how to operate this smoker properly.

Sweetheat, I seasoned the meat when I was pulling it, and added a little sauce. It had a good flavor, not too much smoke. I can think of some improvements to do in the future. Yes, I am the only one to man the smoker, so the long cooks will take a lot of work. I did take some to work today, and got quite a few compliments, even though I think it can be improved. BTW, thanks for the compliments.

Appreciate the advice and tips. Helps to have people to ask questions to. Next one will be even better.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #24
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Olds View Post
Yes, I used a remote thermometer, shown in one of my earlier pictures. I did some testing tonight, and may have found out why it took so long. This will be long winded, so here goes:

I moved the probe to different places in the smoker, starting with the original position on an upper rack, near the middle of the smoker. I took out the chip pan and water pan for the tests. There was a large difference in temperature between the remote and the door thermometer (around 35-40 degrees). I moved the thermometer down to the rack I cooked on, trying it in the front first, then the back. The closest I got to the temperature on the door was in the center of the rack, near the back. This is slightly lower than the door thermometer. At that spot, it was nearly dead-on.

I tried the upper rack, and got higher temperatures than with the lower rack, even though it varied depending on where it was placed. What it looks like to me is that if you have the probe on a upper rack, and in the area where the heat is exhausted, you'll get a higher reading (which makes sense). What I realized is that I had placed the meat on a rack two positions up from where the water pan was, and the probe was another two positions up from that. Not only that, it was near where the heat was exhausted. I believe that I was actually cooking at a lower temp than I should have been. Lesson learned: keep the probe on the same rack, if possible. It also seems to make sense to put the meat higher if you want a higher temp (heat rises). I know this sounds pretty obvious, but I am still learning how to operate this smoker properly.

Sweetheat, I seasoned the meat when I was pulling it, and added a little sauce. It had a good flavor, not too much smoke. I can think of some improvements to do in the future. Yes, I am the only one to man the smoker, so the long cooks will take a lot of work. I did take some to work today, and got quite a few compliments, even though I think it can be improved. BTW, thanks for the compliments.

Appreciate the advice and tips. Helps to have people to ask questions to. Next one will be even better.

Yep try keeping the heat more constant throughout the cook. Also temp probe placement is critical...right beside the meat. Lastly, if your lookin' you ain't cookin. Just my .02.

Still looks good!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #25
87Olds
Knows what a fatty is.

Yep, I agree about the lookin...thanks!

Old 10-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #26
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Sounds like a good adventure, and the pr0n looks tasty.

Know that pork butts are incredibly forgiving, and many folks like to cook 'em up in the 275-300-325 range with a possible wrap based on liking the color. Along those lines, some of us like to smoke 'em until 160F internal, then pan & wrap (or not) to catch juices. That'll seriously cut down on some of the cook time (maybe help you get some sleep in the process), but still have good control over the finished product.

Just a suggestion or two for consideration.

Keep it coming! Thanks for sharing.