MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Default Prime rib is gooooood!

I've been getting requests for cooks on the gas grill since I started. I figure there might be a good percentage of "normal" (ie non-fanatics) looking for information on how to cook holiday meals in the gas grill. Hopefully some of them will find this helpful.

I went to 3 different stores before I finally found one worth buying. I ended up with a 4 pound prime grade boneless rib roast from Sam's that cost about 50 bucks.

I wasn't expected much but it's turned out amazing! You can see why in the first 5 seconds of the video. The marbling was insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_BU1gjnSXA

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Last edited by Baby Back Maniac; 12-06-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

That prime rib looks perfect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Prime rib looked great....but honestly I had trouble concentrating with that new LSG in the background.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Yum. Looking forward to your cook
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

As always, great video Justin!
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I haven't watched the video, but wanted to comment on the whole "I went to 3 different stores before I finally found one worth buying."

That is how people should shop! Too many folks go to the store and have no idea that they should even be looking at what they are buying. With loins, so many people assume one is like another & just buy what's in the case in front of them. Or the WORST thing...buy whatever is the cheapest! So often I see folks brag about buying a rib loin at $4.99/# or even $3.99/#. That is not the way to shop for beef! You have to use your eyes, and THEN decide whether the price suits you.

That's why I choose to buy CAB in my workplace. Say what you will, and there are plenty of naysayers, but CAB is the most consistent product I have found in my 16 years of restaurant ownership. It costs me, yes. But it is so worth it...in every way.

I had a prime rib sandwich tonight at work. Around a 5oz. slice on buttered & toasted Texas Toast with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. It's a wonder I don't weigh twice as much as I do.

Last edited by Cook; 12-06-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Once again, great video!
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #8
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

But, but, but, you can't make good food on any kind of gasser! [emoji4]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #9
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
I haven't watched the video, but wanted to comment on the whole "I went to 3 different stores before I finally found one worth buying."

That is how people should shop! Too many folks go to the store and have no idea that they should even be looking at what they are buying. With loins, so many people assume one is like another & just buy what's in the case in front of them. Or the WORST thing...buy whatever is the cheapest! So often I see folks brag about buying a rib loin at $4.99/# or even $3.99/#. That is not the way to shop for beef! You have to use your eyes, and THEN decide whether the price suits you.

That's why I choose to buy CAB in my workplace. Say what you will, and there are plenty of naysayers, but CAB is the most consistent product I have found in my 16 years of restaurant ownership. It costs me, yes. But it is so worth it...in every way.

I had a prime rib sandwich tonight at work. Around a 5oz. slice on buttered & toasted Texas Toast with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. It's a wonder I don't weigh twice as much as I do.

Whatever market I'm at I always check out the meat. Even when I don't need anything. If I see a nice piece of meat, whatever it is. It comes home with me. I'm usually digging around, flipping the meat over, inspecting it and most times making a mess of things. Especially when looking at packer briskets.

My wife thinks I'm nuts. Choosing a good piece of meat and knowing what to look for is half of what makes a good meal. It also helps to get to know the butcher.
Lawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #10
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Another really nice video. I bet when you sliced into that you were smiling from ear to ear. Nothing like hitting a home run. Little jealous of all those grills...

Old 12-07-2018, 05:01 AM   #11
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Great video as always and yeah...that prime rib looked amazing. I've always wanted to give it a go but it's tough to experiment with such an expensive piece of meat. When you smoke it how is the flavor compared to a normal ribeye steak? Is it similar or a totally different flavor / texture?

Your back yard is looking amazing with all of those cookers!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
Dmakkk
Take a breath!

Awesome Video... Keep up the good work.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
Yuccaneers
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Yuc

Jason - have been watching a lot of Youtube videos of yours, T-Roy Cooks and Aim'em Claim'em lately. Great work by all three of you! Keep up the great work. All three of you gentlemen provide great instructional and how-to videos.
Yuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #14
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great video Justin! That Prime Rib looks excellent!
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Great video as always and yeah...that prime rib looked amazing. I've always wanted to give it a go but it's tough to experiment with such an expensive piece of meat. When you smoke it how is the flavor compared to a normal ribeye steak? Is it similar or a totally different flavor / texture?

Your back yard is looking amazing with all of those cookers!
Prime rib and ribeye have a similar taste & texture...you just miss the char/maillard flavor with PR. Prime rib makes up for that with the super seasoned outside layer.

I'll be honest with you...there really isn't any experimentation with prime rib. If you know how to run your pit, or turn on an oven, then you'll have no problems cooking one. It's as simple as it gets.

My biggest piece of advise is to do as you see in the OP here...choose the right piece of meat. After that...it'll be hard to mess up.

Last edited by Cook; 12-07-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
prime rib, Weber