MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole
Default Deal on a ceramic cooker BGE type

So I have the opportunity to buy a used vision pro for $250. I have never used one but like the idea of holding temp like they are said to do.

How important is your kamado to your arsenal?

I have a kettle, flat too griddle, offset, ooni pizza oven and a Weber gasser.

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer / Vision Kamado Pro
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In theory you can get them hotter than you might do in your kettle, but I never found the crazy high temps like 800* to be particularly useful for anything, or do anything that grilling at say 500* can't do.

I have a kamado and I like it fine as far as kamados and grills are concerned, as my arsenal has evolved its usefulness to me has changed. I don't really like using it as a smoker anymore, the Mak 2* pretty much gets all smoking duty except for when the Shirley is used/required. Then as far as a grill is concerned, it doesn't do much for me that my kettles dont, the way and things I cook at least. I've pondered selling it lately.

Guess it depends how you think it'll fit into your existing set of cookers and where your needs are. At $250 you can probably get your money back if you decide it isn't for you.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

just like sudsandswine, my usage of my BGE has evolved over time. I don't use it for a smoker anymore now that I have the Yoder. I primarily use my BGE for steaks and burgers and such as a grilling platform. It will get as hot as you want, but, those really hot temps are pretty limited in most recipes. I tend to do my steaks between 500 and 600 degrees. The BGE can do those temps in its sleep, but, I believe so can most good kettles.

I love my BGE, but now I tend to just use it for a grilling platform. Its fire and charcoal and that makes wonderful meat taste fantastic. But, I believe a good kettle will handle those duties just fine too
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

I got the Vision B on clearance from Sam's a couple of years ago. I have since purchased other grills and smokers so I don't do much actual smoking on it anymore. I do like grilling on it though. It is my go to for wings. I have a medium Vortex that fits in it and I like using it instead of the kettle because it gets the skin crispier than I have gotten from the Weber.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
SciAggie
Got Wood.

I have a BGE and like those above my uses for it have changed over time. I still love having mine and would hate to part with it. I have my LSG offset for smoking now. The thing about a second kamodo type cooker is you have a secondary grill or oven depending on what you need for cooking side dishes or other foods that require different temperature ranges. I like the kamados and using lump charcoal because of the long steady burn times. When I have company coming I can fire up the egg and get to temp and then let it sit and idle until I need it. It's also much more of a set it and forget it cooker than a stick burner. I also have the Mini Max egg which I essentially use as a side burner. I use a wok or a skillet in the spider as much or more than I use the grill grate. Many folks here seem to prefer their kettles which is great but I am a better cook with the ceramic cooker than I ever was with a kettle grill. Gassers are fine too - I just prefer to use wood or charcoal. YMMV.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Boatman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

I have a large bge and a miniMAX. Love them both. Never cooked on a stick burner before. I use a 13 inch cast iron pan on the BGE spider, let her rip to about 600 then put on blackened fish, chicken etc.
Also use the large for making pizza. 650 for about 6 minutes is perfect.
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Sold all of my ceramics a few years back. Currently cook on a pellet muncher and 26” Weber kettle and love it! I have no regret nor any desire to return to ceramics. At low and slow temps, IMO, they produce a dirty campfire flavor profile. At higher grilling temps they can be a booger when you are cooking fattier things like burgers or steaks and are cooking for a group. Opening and closing the lid of an airtight cooker when it is roaring hot (grilling temps) can be dicey. I realize that lots of guys love em’, but just thought I’d share my experiences after quite a few years of cooking w/ them.

Both the pellet cooker and kettle are sooooooo much easier and more relaxing to cook on for me.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

The reason I have a ceramic in my tool set is for winter cooking where the insulation makes a big difference over a standard kettle. If that is not a factor, looking at what you already own, I would pass.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekked View Post
just like sudsandswine, my usage of my BGE has evolved over time. I don't use it for a smoker anymore now that I have the Yoder. I primarily use my BGE for steaks and burgers and such as a grilling platform. It will get as hot as you want, but, those really hot temps are pretty limited in most recipes. I tend to do my steaks between 500 and 600 degrees. The BGE can do those temps in its sleep, but, I believe so can most good kettles.

I love my BGE, but now I tend to just use it for a grilling platform. Its fire and charcoal and that makes wonderful meat taste fantastic. But, I believe a good kettle will handle those duties just fine too
I agree. I love my BGE, but it has become my grilling cooker. My Assassin does a much better job on the smoking. I rarely go past 500 degrees for any cook on the the BGE. I do pizza around 550.

I do like my BGE for wok cooks. I run open dome and can get near "Chinese wok kitchen" hot with the BGE........but gloves are needed. I've made some amazing stir fries on it.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
Swede
Knows what a fatty is.

I wouldn't give up my ceramic, like others here I can understand the progression as your experience level changes.

In Manitoba Canada a ceramic really shines when the temps dip, and it really is a set and forget cooker that doesn't need to be plugged in. The flavor profile of a well run offset on wood is better than a kamado for sure, but it's far more of an investment time wise.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider getting it. I have a Vision Kamado Pro C with the knob style temp adjust and ash drawer, it's a great cooker. I also paid $800 CAD for mine back in the day.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I sold my kamado a couple of years ago because I just really never used it. It was too heavy and I was always worried about it breaking if it tipped over during transport, so it just sat in place and collected dust. I usually just cook on my offset and I've really been enjoying my Spicewine (insulated cabinet smoker) recently.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #12
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

Well thanks for all the input Bretheren! I missed the deal and someone else got it, I think if I run across another at that price point I will jump on it. Like sudsandswine said I could sell it for that price after experimenting with it. It would. Ever replace my smoker, but I like the idea of holding temp for things like a tri tip.

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer / Vision Kamado Pro
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I bought one last tear and was never a fan. Sold it this year
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote