Pairing rubs and wood

Jtmeredith83

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm new to the site, so I apologize if this has been asked and already has a thread but wanted to get thoughts on pairing types of wood and rubs. I'm going to cook up a Boston butt and baby back ribs and planning on using applewood. I have typically used hickory or mesquite before with more robust and sweet rubs. Any reason why these rubs would not pair well wit applewood? If not, any suggestions on rubs that would pair with lighter fruit wood smoke?

Personal preferences and individual likes and dislikes make a big part of our chouces.

In my opinion, it is more of pairing the wood with the type of meat. Nice heavy smoke flavor for brisket using hickory, mesquite, or even a little lighter with oak.

Chicken and pork go very well with fruit woods, where as delicately flavored game birds and seafood can be easily overpowered with smoke flavor. The more delicate flavors will benefit from the use of alder which has a light smoke flavor.

Your rub gives complimentary flavors to the meat, so most rubs are created to work with specific meats. There are general purpose rubs, but I find most of the general rubs come short on finishing flavors.

^^^^ ditto to MadMan. I use a similar rub on most of my meats for the base flavor. The flavor wood that I use for smoke is mostly for a topical or bark flavor.

Back