• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"Fusion Feast!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Sept. 19th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Fusion Feast!"

attachment.php

This was boogiesnap's winning entry combining Chinese with BBQ in the 2013 "Fusion" Throwdown

As chosen by SmokinAussie for winning the "Brethren Inspired" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

SmokinAussie said:
Time for some end of Summer MSU fusion fun! Combine TWO(or more if you like) different cuisines for a single fusion food item/entree. You could combine Mexican with Asian, Korean with Japanese, Thai with American - there’s MANY possibilities! Please identify the cuisines which are the inspiration for your entry.

FYI, Roy Choi is one of my fave chefs out there, and brings so much to Mexican / Californian food with a Korean twist.

Here is something I did a while back. Pork Kalbi, Roy style.

Make it Fusion and make it TASTY!

You may submit entries that are cooked from 9/2 through 9/19.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on 9/19/22.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I'm gonna start this off by saying that I had not imbibed one single sip when I came up with this idea. That said, I made German tacos. From the bottom up I went with flour tortillas since they seemed more reminiscent of a bratwurst bun. Next was some Johnsonville brats that I liberated from their casings. Then sauteed peppers and onions. Topped with chilled sauerkraut seasoned with cumin as my slaw. Finally a couple pickled jalapeno slices. They were actually quite good. This was all done on my Blackstone.

This will be an entry for now until I come up with some other goofy idea.

20220903_211454.jpg

This is an entry. Please disregard my previous entry. Please use the last photo for judging. Thank you.

Well I guess I've got myself a two-fer with the burger challenge that is also going on. Here's my take on Indian/Americana fusion.

How about a spicy Tandoori Chicken burger with Kachumber salad. Sounds tasty, right? I assure you it was delicious!

I started off with 2 chicken leg/thigh quarters that I deboned and ground. Mixed the chicken with scallion, ginger, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, turmeric, and S&P. They were grilled over charcoal and pecan for a little smoke.

Had to have some kind of sauce so I went with a mix of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, fresh mint, a touch of cumin, and S&P.

The Kachumber salad was cucumber, tomato, red onion, mint, lemon juice, and S&P.

Plating started with a round of garlic Naan that got a little toast on the grill, topped with a spread of the yogurt sauce, then the burger patty, topped with sliced cucumber, red onion, and fresh cilantro. Finished off with another round of garlic Naan and, of course, some more yogurt sauce.

20220904_215813.jpg

20220904_215749.jpg

20220904_215905.jpg

Fusion Entry

Well, I'm almost embarrassed to come out the hillbilly closet, (have sum mo this white gravy wit you taters and eggs, Honey-child).
I have decided to fuse good old Godly Midwest pork loin with my hillbilly roots of quick pork dressing and pork gravy.
Cook post in Q-talk.
Ed

Official Entry Fusion Feast: Korean Quesadillas Fail!

G'Day Bruces:

Cook thread here:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4603252#post4603252

Sorry about the quality of the photo. I know it's terrible but check the cook thread to see what went into this Korean / Mexican thang!

IMG-20220918-171646729.jpg

It tasted pretty good and it was also an excuse to drink a bottle of Soju!:mrgreen:

Cheers!

Bill

Back