*** IMPORTANT PSA: What an Official Throwdown Entry Should Look Like in 3 Simple Fool-Proof Steps ***

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Of late, there seem to be a growing number of posts in Throwdown entry threads that are probably entries, but really don’t qualify, or posts that are not entries at all, both of which create extra work for the moderators here when we have step in to ask for clarification, then walk someone through the rules on how to enter, not to mention creating confusion for other members, particularly newer participants in the Throwdowns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I made some pulled pork the other day:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
iu

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was good, then we made sammiches out of it for dinner!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Seriously? :confused:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Below is a dramatization of how we mods and other members react to posts like this:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
MC5LFLT.gif

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I did not use an actual post here to make an example of someone, so while this is fictitious, we've had more of them than we can count. :roll:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, here’s a simple guide to help you submit a fool-proof qualified entry and get you in the voting poll. :thumb:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before we get into specifics, be mindful to read and understand ALL of the rules before entering ANY Throwdown:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]PLEASE read and understand the simple throwdown rules that have been in place for over 10 years. CLICK HERE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Step 1: State that you are making an official entry:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First, you have to actually state that you are officially entering the Throwdown. There should be no ambiguity as to whether it’s an entry or not. For example:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please accept this as my entry in the _______Throwdown.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Step 2: Your Entry Photo[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next, you’ll insert your entry photo. This is the photo that will be used for judging.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Step 3: Provide a link to your cook thread in Qtalk.(Alternatively, you can also post your cook thread as part of your entry, but don't forget to indicate which is your entry photo)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Copy and paste a link to your cook thread in Qtalk. Why should you have a cook thread in Qtalk? So people can see how your cook unfolded, which gives them a better idea of the effort that went into it. This can have a significant impact on how many votes you receive, even if you don't have the best picture. It really does help as the vast majority of voters WILL look through your cook thread. If you don’t create a cook thread or document your entry, all there is to judge is a single photo, which tells us very little, no matter how good it is or isn’t.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
So that’s it. 3 simple steps. So easy a caveman can do it![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here’s a good example of a Throwdown entry that meets these 3 simple criteria:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
I would like to enter the Pork Butt Throwdown.

Cook Thread here - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=283985

Please use the pic below with the meat sliced and chunked for my official entry photo.

ctfrziB.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, that's it in a nutshell! Thanks fer listening to this PSA, and more importantly, following it!
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hmm... I will try this next time. I have entered in quite a few throwdowns and have yet to win one in the last 11 years :sad:. I'll use these tips in the next one, hoping for better results. I have to defend myself though, I have never entered one that looks like the example above of the failed entry. . .

- G

Hmm... I will try this next time. I have entered in quite a few throwdowns and have yet to win one in the last 11 years :sad:. I'll use these tips in the next one, hoping for better results. I have to defend myself though, I have never entered one that looks like the example above of the failed entry. . .

- G

I've won a few but am no means a consistent submitter of winning entries. A couple observations that I try for with my submissions and what influences me as a voter:

We obviously cannot taste or smell the submission, so the quality of the picture is important, IMO. Not just with throwdowns or on this forum specifically, but I often see people post up pictures of their food that is too small to see much detail, and/or has poor lighting, poor focus, or the main course of the dish is in the back of the picture while some sides like peas or potato chips are in front and prominent. Why would you go to all the hassle of cooking a great steak, just for a mound of plain white mashed potatoes to be front and center in the picture?

Because I cannot taste it, I choose the one that I most want to eat if I could - which again is mostly based on looks. I also try to review every cook thread or post associated with each submission so that I can get background on why the dish is the way it is, what ingredients are involved, and if there's some other factor that might make me want to eat it more than another submission. If you aren't doing cook threads, or at least a post somewhere detailing the cooking process, you might be leaving out a deciding factor that could influence ones vote.

My .02 :thumb: sorry for the off topic post

I've won a few but am no means a consistent submitter of winning entries. A couple observations that I try for with my submissions and what influences me as a voter:

We obviously cannot taste or smell the submission, so the quality of the picture is important, IMO. Not just with throwdowns or on this forum specifically, but I often see people post up pictures of their food that is too small to see much detail, and/or has poor lighting, poor focus, or the main course of the dish is in the back of the picture while some sides like peas or potato chips are in front and prominent. Why would you go to all the hassle of cooking a great steak, just for a mound of plain white mashed potatoes to be front and center in the picture?

Because I cannot taste it, I choose the one that I most want to eat if I could - which again is mostly based on looks. I also try to review every cook thread or post associated with each submission so that I can get background on why the dish is the way it is, what ingredients are involved, and if there's some other factor that might make me want to eat it more than another submission. If you aren't doing cook threads, or at least a post somewhere detailing the cooking process, you might be leaving out a deciding factor that could influence ones vote.

My .02 :thumb: sorry for the off topic post

I agree with you, pictures are literally worth a thousand words. Especially like you stated, we cant sample the food. This forum has gotten better at plating though. . . I am going to enter more of the throwdowns in the hopes that I get one eventually lol .

- G

One of the tips I picked up from Phizzy back in my Noobian TD days was to snap pRon outside when at all possible. Natural lighting is a bazillion times better than artificial lighting for taking pictures in most all situations. There will obviously be times it’s too dark outside, so the next best option IMHO is to use “daylight” (5000-6500K range) LED bulbs indoors for lighting the subject matter.

One of the tips I picked up from Phizzy back in my Noobian TD days was to snap pRon outside when at all possible. Natural lighting is a bazillion times better than artificial lighting for taking pictures in most all situations. There will obviously be times it’s too dark outside, so the next best option IMHO is to use “daylight” (5000-6500K range) LED bulbs indoors for lighting the subject matter.

Or the horrible fluorescent lights that give off a green color instead of the normal incandescent or led lights.

- G

Back