***Welcome to the OFFICIAL Throwdown Lounge! Kick Back and Enjoy General Throwdown Banter, Ask Questions, Share Ideas & Suggestions!***

Sorry to bring back an old thread and change subjects a little, but I just had an idea for a throwdown category. My idea is for a throwdown based on family recipes, which could go many different ways. Maybe based on a recipe that’s been handed down for generations, or is a secret, maybe it’s a dish that is unique to your family and maybe it’s your family’s version of a common dish. Or it could be a combination of all of these.

Forgive me if it’s been done before, I haven’t been here too long.

Sorry to bring back an old thread and change subjects a little, but I just had an idea for a throwdown category. My idea is for a throwdown based on family recipes, which could go many different ways. Maybe based on a recipe that’s been handed down for generations, or is a secret, maybe it’s a dish that is unique to your family and maybe it’s your family’s version of a common dish. Or it could be a combination of all of these.

I like the idea of an old family recipe revamped to be done on the grill or smoker.

I like the idea of an old family recipe revamped to be done on the grill or smoker.

I think this is a good category idea for the bi-weekly throwdowns - it would be interesting to see how folks convert baked and other kitchen cooked recipes to grills and smokers!

Another interesting one might be the Crockpot TD from 2014.

Don't you think it's time you took that Crock Pot out of the box finally and figured out how to use it?

SPECIAL RULES ARE IN EFFECT (duh)

1. The main ingredient you put in the crock must be grilled or smoked.
2. See above.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190414

My idea is for a throwdown based on family recipes, which could go many different ways. Maybe based on a recipe that’s been handed down for generations, or is a secret, maybe it’s a dish that is unique to your family and maybe it’s your family’s version of a common dish. Or it could be a combination of all of these.

That's a great idea Chad.

If I ever win another throwdown, I might just swipe it.

I am a man of my word.

Thanks for the idea Chad.

Dang! I’ve spent all my time here recently in the jokes and woodpile forums that I totally missed this :frusty:. Oh well, glad you guys liked the idea and had fun with it. If there’s a next time hopefully I’ll be around for it.

Dang! I’ve spent all my time here recently in the jokes and woodpile forums that I totally missed this :frusty:. Oh well, glad you guys liked the idea and had fun with it. If there’s a next time hopefully I’ll be around for it.

You've missed a bunch of good cooking here while you were away, hope you'll stick around a while...:rolleyes:

I was cooking some marked down steaks last night and came up with an idea for a TD, it can be the Ode to 16Adams TD and can include anything that you bought on mark down from any store. It may have to run for a month to give everyone ample opportunity for the stores to mark something down that you want to cook, but would be wide open as to the various entries we would see.

I was cooking some marked down steaks last night and came up with an idea for a TD, it can be the Ode to 16Adams TD and can include anything that you bought on mark down from any store. It may have to run for a month to give everyone ample opportunity for the stores to mark something down that you want to cook, but would be wide open as to the various entries we would see.

Good idea, and very similar to "On a Budget", which we did in 2012 and 2014. I think it may be time to revisit this one!

We canned the idea for a Gas-Powered Cook-Off for August in lieu of a budget minded approach...:biggrin1:

I like that idea Ron.
I always seem to be perusing the bargain bin at the supermarket.

What does everyone think about a Quick-Fire type of contest?

Ingredient(s) gets posted on Friday, voting the following Monday. You get the weekend to cook something up. If you don't have time to cook this weekend, oh well, there'll be another contest next weekend. No prizes, since the TD sponsors might balk at that many contests, just bragging rights.

That would be neat. . .

- G

What does everyone think about a Quick-Fire type of contest?

Ingredient(s) gets posted on Friday, voting the following Monday. You get the weekend to cook something up. If you don't have time to cook this weekend, oh well, there'll be another contest next weekend. No prizes, since the TD sponsors might balk at that many contests, just bragging rights.

That would be neat. . .

- G

This would be a GREAT idea for someone to take the initiative and launch in Qtalk and could be very successful! :thumb::whoo:

That lucky person would have to be the admin, keep track of entries, keep the entry thread on track, put up the voting poll, announce the winner, pick the next contest's ingredients, and make sure the whole thing runs smoothly, and consistently, week in and week out, with no pay, perks, or little acknowledgement for your efforts. On occasion, you'll have to deal with folks who like to stir up chit and create non-constructive distractions, which will sometimes turn away newcomers, which along with all the other stuff you're doing, can be quite discouraging.

Pretty much like what we mods deal with here, but on a much smaller scale. :mrgreen:

I know there will be a long list of you lining up for the position...but in the event someone actually wants to take the initiative and stick with it, Andy and I are more than willing to offer counsel on how to set it up and make it work. It is a great idea and could become a popular destination in Qtalk.

Last edited:
Having won a few recent throwdowns, I wanted to express my thanks to the mods for all they do regarding throwdowns. It was not easy coming up with throwdown categories, that's for sure. Going back through a few years of throwdowns (thank goodness for the past throwdown winners thread), it still was difficult deciding on something that would encourage members to enter.

The "steering the chosen category" in a new direction by the mods was much appreciated. They deal with the throwdown administration all the time and have a better feel on how to boost participation. I do wish we had more members entering and even voting.

Dom

Back