MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Do you use fab?
Like it 48 21.92%
Hate it 14 6.39%
Never have but want to 44 20.09%
Never have 50 22.83%
What is it? 63 28.77%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #61
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I have mixed thoughts on MSG to use or not to use it
i didn't use it last year and my scours were all over the place
this year we are - we will see
york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #62
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I don't see any need to use flavor enhancers that have CHEMICALS in them to get my meat to taste good.
I buy good quality meat, know how to smoke it with a good basic rub and Whala, I got good tasting BBQ.
That chit makes my heart BEAT faster than a Striped Arsed Zebra in about 2 seconds.
Can't be that good for ya.
Just my opinion. Go ahead, poison people!!!!!!
Just kidding.
Smoke On!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #63
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm inclined to try something a bit different this year. Used Doc's Big Cow injection and added Fab B to it last year. Maybe I just use the injection and add MSG to it this year... who knows? There were times when Andy and I thought it dried out briskets. But maybe that was us using it as an excuse for our screw ups! LOL!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #64
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

According to a a very prominent pitmaster that was at the kingsford event in NYC last monday, fab tastes to artificial and does not like it.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #65
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
According to a a very prominent pitmaster that was at the kingsford event in NYC last monday, fab tastes to artificial and does not like it.
Steve's correct... The three of us had an interesting conversation on the subject.

With the likelyhood of FAB products not being readily available right now, it's gonna be interesting to see how some teams adjust who rely on FAB products, but may not have had to think about an an effective backup. I'm sure a number of the top teams who do use FAB products will still be able to be at the top of their game becasue they don't need to rely on it and will have a solid backup plan.

With that said, I do have a sizeable order pending just like others here, but I've already begun planning my alternatives and reviewing other injections / marinades I've used or wanted to try.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #66
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq
I don't see any need to use flavor enhancers that have CHEMICALS in them to get my meat to taste good.
I buy good quality meat, know how to smoke it with a good basic rub and Whala, I got good tasting BBQ.
That chit makes my heart BEAT faster than a Striped Arsed Zebra in about 2 seconds.
Can't be that good for ya.
Just my opinion. Go ahead, poison people!!!!!!
Just kidding.
Smoke On!!!!!!
MSG isn't a chemical. It's made from beets and other natural products. They just gave it a bad name and people don't bother to learn about it.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #67
big brother smoke

I am undecided on MSG. But here is some facts

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #68
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default Glad to see someone else that thinks MSG is not Evil.

I have used FAB B 3 times. The frist two I did not let it set long enough and in my opinion did not use enough, had stains. Last time I used it I injected about 32 oz. into a 12lb. packer. I thought it came out good. I don't know if I used so much of it that I made the entire brisket brown, but I could not see any discoloration. Some say it makes the meat to salty, I did not find that but I like a lot of salt! I have about 1/2 a bag left and will be using it at the BBQ N' at the Autry in April. The judges will be the true indicator in my mind. My goal for 2007 is a top 10 in Brisket, did I mention I suck at cooking brisket, so anything will help mine!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #69
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
MSG isn't a chemical. It's made from beets and other natural products. They just gave it a bad name and people don't bother to learn about it.
Doc - I'm not anti-MSG as I've used FAB (but I don't go out of my way to use MSG etc. when cooking at home) so I'm not disagreeing, but please correct me if I am wrong..

While L-glutamic acid (MSG) can be found naturally in the some foods and be found within the cells of the body when our bodies digestive process beaks down the acids which the body then processes, in the limited reading I've done, MSG, as used for most foods as an additive, is a chemical as it is replicated in a factory, where is acids are broken down by various processes including hydrolization, autolyzation, fermentation etc) and then refined to the final substance. This amino acid (D-glutamic acid)is slightly different structure than what is found in natually occuring L-glutamic acid. This is potentially why so manly claim or experience (where factual or not) that MSG is foods poses reactions, health problems etc.

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #70
thirdeye

We don’t hear much about glutamic acid, which our body produces in small amounts and is also found is certain foods. When protein containing glutamic acid is broken down by cooking, fermentation or ripening - it becomes glutamate. Things that are not very common to us like seaweed broths or certain fish sauces contain glutamates. Soy sauces, Wooster and tomato sauces contain glutamates, that’s why we reach for them as marinades or condiments. But the substances with more glutamate than any other natural food are ripe cheeses like Parmesan. If you think about it, Parmesan (even in small amounts) wakes up just about any dish it is used on. I use it along with Romano cheese in one of my Italian sausages for this very reason at the rate of 1 Tablespoon per pound of meat. After cooking you can’t see it or actually taste it, but the sausages taste better with it. This works for meatloaf too.

Vinny, I thought that MSG was refined and bonded with salt to make a crystal convenient for use and measuring??

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #71
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
Doc - I'm not anti-MSG as I've used FAB (but I don't go out of my way to use MSG etc. when cooking at home) so I'm not disagreeing, but please correct me if I am wrong..

While L-glutamic acid (MSG) can be found naturally in the some foods and be found within the cells of the body when our bodies digestive process beaks down the acids which the body then processes, in the limited reading I've done, MSG, as used for most foods as an additive, is a chemical as it is replicated in a factory, where is acids are broken down by various processes including hydrolization, autolyzation, fermentation etc) and then refined to the final substance. This amino acid (D-glutamic acid)is slightly different structure than what is found in natually occuring L-glutamic acid. This is potentially why so manly claim or experience (where factual or not) that MSG is foods poses reactions, health problems etc.
You're a little out of my league with all those big words so unless you cut and pasted that, you know way more about it than I do, but Joe Ames knows a lot about it and he told me that most msg that is added to food is made from beets.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #72
MilitantSquatter

That's about as much as I know as well Doc !!!

I'm not even close to being a food scientist, and I don't really understand the details of what the processes actually mean but I did some reading up on it last year when the ingredients of FAB were discussed here in depth and from what I can gather there is natural and processed forms of what we know of MSG..

So, enough about the science .... aside from some of the alternatives mentioned from Lawry's mix etc. for those that use FAB and can't get a shipment, are you gonna use a more basic recipe with ingredients found in a regular supermarket ?? That's what I'm leaning toward...

Old 03-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #73
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

But if it's processed from beets I wouldn't consider it a chemical.

The ingredient that I like best in the fab b is the phosphates. None of the broth/stock things will replace that, but I think I've got a trick up my sleeve so look for some news soon.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #74
Dovid
On the road to being a farker

Default Msg

Y'all have only been talking about what is called MSG on the ingredient list. But there are many ingredients which are called by other names.

For example, Hydolyzed Soy Protein.

If any judge is sensitive to MSG they will probably score differently than others, if they are able to write after tasting it.

Here is a link which can help.

msgmyth.com Look under hidname

Just a little rambling.

Dovid
Chicago
Dovid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #75
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq
Do you ever eat processed cold cuts like bologna, or hot dogs? Same stuff is in cold cuts/hot dogs: MSG, Hydrolyzed proteins, phosphates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
With the likelyhood of FAB products not being readily available right now,
I know Joe has been struggling with health issues and his sons have been holding down the fort. But FWIW, I placed an order about a week ago and received it right away.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote