• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sauce Profiles

DoctorCueNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum as well as other BBQ forums as I prepare for my first ever contest in June, and was trying to figure out the best flavor profile for sauce.

I read that Blues Hog original was king with a 50/50 mix of BH Tenn Red, but that was from a post in 2011 and some said that was falling out of style. Is this still the main profile to compare to or have things shifted? I tried Blues Hog and to me it tastes more like a fruit spread than a BBQ sauce. T

he contest is in Lincolnton, NC at the hog happenin' and I'm competing in the amateur/backyard division. Does area of the contest actually matter or is that something some say it does and others it doesn't? Thank you all in advance for advice or where to find more information.

Blues Hog is still the go to base sauce. It is sweet straight from the jar so that is why you cut it with something else.

The rumors of Blues Hog falling out of style are greatly exaggerated I believe. I know many teams still using it in some capacity. A 50/50 Mix with TN Red is a good starting point. Some other popular sauces out there right now are Granny's and A Fine Swine. There are tons others that some here may or may not be willing to share :wink:

Check out Atlanta BBQ Store for tons of competition supplies and lots of popular sauces being used on the circuit.

Thanks for the advice, I may have found a sweet sauce that's very close to Blues Hog that may give me the extra to set my meat apart (noting you don't deviate much from the flavor the judges want). Since I think I have my sauce, do you usually mix it in after pulling the pork and slicing it or do you just glaze the outside? Or is that one of the things that some feel one way and someone else feels differently?

Thanks for the advice, I may have found a sweet sauce that's very close to Blues Hog that may give me the extra to set my meat apart (noting you don't deviate much from the flavor the judges want). Since I think I have my sauce, do you usually mix it in after pulling the pork and slicing it or do you just glaze the outside? Or is that one of the things that some feel one way and someone else feels differently?

Let me see if I got this right? You have a secret sauce that your not wanting to name, but you want us to give you secrets on how to use it.:tsk:

Let me see if I got this right? You have a secret sauce that your not wanting to name, but you want us to give you secrets on how to use it.:tsk:

I second that. It is hard to give advice when you don't know what you're working with. Different sauces are good for different applications during/after the cooking process. I use a slightly different sauce on my pulled/chunks than I do on the money muscle.

I use BBQ Bob's Havin a BBQ sauce mixed with Blues Hoq and some other stuff.

I use Blues Hog original, Blues Hog Smokey Mountain, Blues Hog Tenn. Red and Head Country. Also A Fine Swine. Some i add together and some I add a certain ammount of apple juice.
Thats ALL my secret sauces for all four meat catagories.
I hope this helps.

Not a secret it's the Cackalacky sweet cheerwine sauce from NC. It tastes almost like blues hog to me but is thinner. Sorry not trying to hide things from y'all. I appreciate the help greatly. I'm just trying to make good BBQ.

Not a secret it's the Cackalacky sweet cheerwine sauce from NC. It tastes almost like blues hog to me but is thinner. Sorry not trying to hide things from y'all. I appreciate the help greatly. I'm just trying to make good BBQ.

then cook good bbq..the sauce and rub are almost irrelevant.

perfectly cooked meat with a little sauce and a little rub wins. It could be any sauce or any rub.

Smoking guns and blues hog straight out of the jar won contests last weekend. They will win contests this weekend and they will win contests 5 years from now.

There are no secrets and there are no shortcuts. 1000's of pound of meat put through a smoker in a consistent and repeatable fashion is what wins contests.

then cook good bbq..the sauce and rub are almost irrelevant.

perfectly cooked meat with a little sauce and a little rub wins. It could be any sauce or any rub.

Smoking guns and blues hog straight out of the jar won contests last weekend. They will win contests this weekend and they will win contests 5 years from now.

There are no secrets and there are no shortcuts. 1000's of pound of meat put through a smoker in a consistent and repeatable fashion is what wins contests.

I agree, the last pork shoulder I cooked was the first I've preferred to eat without sauce.

Swamp Boys was used by Iowa Smokey D's to help win the '14 Jack Daniel's World Championship, plus numerous contests prior and since. Many other of the top teams use it.

I will have to look into some of these others. My wife though will kill me if I buy too much more sauce as I've developed quite a collection in the past couple weeks.

Back