New smoker and rust?

Zeta09

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So.

After much time I'm back and my RD Marshall Horizon smoker arrived today. It's a beauty and am looking forward to learning with it. But.

And this is a big but. I look inside and there is all this surface rust in the cooking chamber and fire box??????

So I have seen some places already talk about a wire brush or sandpaper to remove and then oil the inside to season.

Is this correct? Please please all suggestions welcome.....

Yup. Wire brush it, wash it out. Season it. Spray All the inside of cook chamber with spray can cooking oil. Firebox is gonna rust so don’t even mess with it. Or just wash the inside of cooking chamber with soap n water and green 3m scotchbrite pad, rinse good, let dry or blow out with compressed air then spray with cooking oil even if you are not firing it up.

Yup. Wire brush it, wash it out. Season it. Spray All the inside of cook chamber with spray can cooking oil. Firebox is gonna rust so don’t even mess with it. Or just wash the inside of cooking chamber with soap n water and green 3m scotchbrite pad, rinse good, let dry or blow out with compressed air then spray with cooking oil even if you are not firing it up.

^+1-

ClumsyShoddyGar.webp

As far as rust in the fire box; fire is a form of rapid oxidation that releases heat, residues, and other compounds that can cause rust in the fire box.

Still trying....

So this stuff isn't coming off.

It's mildly irritating that the inside is rusty red and I doubt it's part of the mfr process. Outside is black as coal.

I have wire brushed this thing for a couple of hours and nothing. Is there something that could possibly be applied to get this stuff off?

So this stuff isn't coming off.

It's mildly irritating that the inside is rusty red and I doubt it's part of the mfr process. Outside is black as coal.

I have wire brushed this thing for a couple of hours and nothing. Is there something that could possibly be applied to get this stuff off?

You used a wire brush and it's not coming off?

Hmmm.............

Maybe try burning it off with a high heat run?

Last edited:
Just spray with PAM let sit awhile then wipe off with paper towels, spray with PAM again and fire her up and season.

You could have it sandblasted but I would scrub it and season it and Move On........

Back