MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

do you need to use the gas starter of can you use a starter block?
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have no experience with a kettle, so no opinion there. My Primo XL oval has far exceeded my high expectations. I can cook anything on it with no exceptions. The split firebox is ideal for reverse sear. With the deflector plates, it turns out perfect pizza or breads. Add cast iron of any kind and things like mac & cheese or lasagna are a breeze. It goes low and slow to white hot without problem. Needed help with a minor issue, and a rep calls me at home on Memorial Day to talk me through an adjustment. And, it's AMERICAN MADE in Georgia. No doubt it was expensive, but worth every penny. Good luck with your choice, not matter which.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

I am leaning weber

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good call cheez! I forgot that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
do you need to use the gas starter of can you use a starter block?
No Sir, you could use lighter fluid if ya wanted. The gas starter is totally a convenience thang, at first I thought it was hokey to put that on that type of grill, but I think I've changed my mind on that.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I've never cooked on either, so there's that. If I were in the market for a high end charcoal cooker, I'd get the Weber, wouldn't even think about it. Basically, for all the reasons 4ever3 said. I've never dealt with BGE's customer service, but Weber's is second to none. I'm sure you'll be happy, with whatever you purchase.

Matt

Old 05-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Like i said. Big sufferer of buyers remorse. Just read on the site Amazing Ribs that the reviewer had trouble getting steady temps and couldn't go below. 250*! Also ran out of charcoal after 9 hours. I know that a guy did like forever hours w no food in the things but now I'm nervous
Thoughts?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #22
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

There is no reload with any of the ceramic/kamado style cookers. Whether it be KJ, BGE, Primo, etc., you use lump instead of briquettes. The lump will last long beyond anything you cook. At the end of the cook, you close the dampers, the fire is out, and you typically have lump left for the next cook. Even on my Akorn over the winter in Florida, an 18 pound bag of Royal Oak lasted 3 1/2 months with an average 3xweek use.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #23
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Like i said. Big sufferer of buyers remorse. Just read on the site Amazing Ribs that the reviewer had trouble getting steady temps and couldn't go below. 250*! Also ran out of charcoal after 9 hours. I know that a guy did like forever hours w no food in the things but now I'm nervous
Thoughts?
A ceramic will have much higher thermal mass than the Webber and should be a bit more stable in temps, but if the reviewer could not get stable temps and more than 9 hours out of the Summit, I am thinking something wasn't assembled correctly or more likely it is a serious case of user error.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #24
4ever3

I'm with fine on this one, something isn't right with the reviewer, good Lord, my drum will run longer than that .

There was a guy a week or so ago that had a guru and I don't know what else on his Summit to control the temps and was ready to sell it after his first cook because temps were all over the place and the fine folks on the forum were offering to buy it from him!! The next run he took all gadgets and gizmos off and just let'er roll, held perfect temps... I'll see if I can find the thread...

Here ya go, read it all but post #23 is the money shot

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=230235&page=2

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
dadsr4

Quote:
Thoughts?
After over 3 decades of steady temps in a kettle, I vote for user error.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #26
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
After over 3 decades of steady temps in a kettle, I vote for user error.
I can't get my 22" Kettle to maintain temps - tho I can keep it in the range of 225 - 250 - if the day is not frigid and I don't run out of charcoal
I am hoping that the summit will be better

Old 05-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #27
dadsr4

Quote:
I can't get my 22" Kettle to maintain temps - tho I can keep it in the range of 225 - 250 - if the day is not frigid and I don't run out of charcoal
I am hoping that the summit will be better
It's the same with any cooker. I find that the trick is to catch the temp on the way up. A too low temp can be fixed by opening up the vent a little. Once it goes over, coals have to extinguish themselves for the temp to go down. The goal to aim for is an average temp, a difference over a short period of time is not important.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Can you use lump?

Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
One major plus for the Weber over the egg is that the Weber is made in the USA. At least it is a major factor for me.
Well then he could go with a Primo XL Oval which is also made in USA. Best purchase I ever made.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #30
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Well then he could go with a Primo XL Oval which is also made in USA. Best purchase I ever made.
How much?