Need Ideas for Daughters B-Day Cook - 25 people

I would agree with all the posts so far.

I would also toss in chicken wings. You can get mass quantities at places like Costco.
They are cheap. They are absolutely tasty as all get out.
Kids love them because of the ease of eating. Everybody loves wings.
You can also smoke them in mass quanitity, then customize them with sauces for different tastes.

I saw the negative comment on the BGE. Normally I would feel compelled to defend the honor of the BGE. But, I often cook for mass quantities of people and if there is a shortfall on the BGE, its grill space for big cooks. I will stand quiet on the BGE.

What is her favorite? If she likes bbq, I would say chicken pieces and sausages. At my house, you get your favorite meal. If you dont want to cook Q, crockpot and taco bar is a good way, or marinade and grill some chicken or steak for tacos. Make it easy!!

A taco bar is somewhat easy to organize, and if you get corn and mini flour tortillas they can build street tacos, and if you have hardshells they can build American tacos.

One step further, but this will depend on how interactive the guests are (or how not interactive you want to be) or maybe you would love to be the designated cook.... but what about a pizza bar? You blind bake a bunch of 8" pizza crusts, then have a big assortment of toppings and a couple of sauces laid out on a table. People build their own pizza and cook it themselves. It's good to have a few tips on a poster, for example: use 1/4 cup of sauce, 3 toppings maximum, 1/3 cup of cheese, bake for 10 minutes. I've seen this done using flour tortillas, but you have to be careful with the toppings.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/baked-ziti/

^^ The above is really good. I am not sure how many i would make. I always make one batch with all hot sausage(In lieu of ground beef and the sweet sausage) and its the first one gone. She calls it baked ziti but i considered it ziti/lasagna.

Another thing i do for parties is just roast bone in thighs in the oven at 275 for couple hours till they are 190+. Uncovered with some broth in pan. Everyone seems to always love them.

Burgers and dogs are always a hit. I typically stay away from burgers for a crowd as the masses can get picky. Would also be tough to cook that many on a BGE.

Reasonably inexpensive and can be done without a lot of hoo ha for a crowd recommendations:

Smoked meat loaf;
Smoked chicken wings;
Baltimore pit beef;
Pepper stout beef;
Carne asada tacos;

Could also make up a large (or a couple large) pans of smoked mac n cheese in advance and keep warm in the (shudder) oven. :shock:

Bruce

I really like the pizza idea. When I was on my big grilled pizza kick, we did one of those parties. It was a hit. I used premade dough and a lot of people would split the pizzas and work together on toppings. I still handled the cooking, but I think ThirdEye has the right idea with some posted suggestions.

I don't know if you are familiar with a pilau dish (some people call it chicken bog or chicken and rice). You can cook one of these for a large crowd and most of the time would be committed to prep work.

Smoked Chicken Enchiladas.

Its casserole style and will feed a crowd.

Smoke a whole chicken to 145-150 (yes, still pink) pull and shred. (super simple SPOG w/ poultry seasoning as rub)

Soften a mess of good corn tortillas in hot oil.
cover bottom of casserole pan with layer of favorite sauce, then corn tortilla, shredded chicken, cheese (I like Monterrey jack and sharp cheddar), diced onion, black olive, sauce (just to wet and cover the layer, don't drown it) continue to build as many layers as you want, (3 is usually good).
Top the last layer with just cheese, onion, olive and sauce. Bake for 30 mins. covered with foil at 350-375 F. Then uncover and cook till cheese is brown and bubbly. (about 15-20 more).

Its just as easy to make 2-3 as it is to make 1 and you can assemble ahead of time then bake day of. Serve with favorite hot sauce and sour cream, (if you have a good beans and rice recipe throw that down too). You can rough chop some Cilantro and throw on top if you wearing your fancy pants.

One of the most requested foods in my house (other than smoked yaki mandu & Naca Rice) by friends and family.

Just my 2 cents, enjoy the day and Happy B-Day to the little one.

Back