White Oak verification?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does this look like white oak? That is what it’s being advertised as. If so is it a good all around smoking wood compaired to hickory?

IMG_5326_large.JPG

Looks like it from here, and will work just fine

Split one to see before purchase.

If it had leaves, that would be easy Identification.

If it is white oak, it will be a good substitute for post oak - not perfect - but close, so all you will need is to source some mesquite and you can have that Hill Country smoke in Wahoo...

Most white oak bark I see in Texas is pretty smooth, not like that. Could be Ash or another hardwood.

You may have what's called burr oak (Quercus macrocarpa) it is a very common white oak family tree in Iowa. Wahoo isn't that far west to exclude you having it there. A close up of the ends of the wood will tell if it's in the white oak family.

You may have what's called burr oak (Quercus macrocarpa) it is a very common white oak family tree in Iowa. Wahoo isn't that far west to exclude you having it there. A close up of the ends of the wood will tell if it's in the white oak family.

+1.

I'm not personally familiar with bur oak, but it's the only common tree in the white oak group that appears to be widespread in Nebraska.

My guess is you won't be able to tell the difference between wood cooked on one species of oak vs. another. Most of the time I can't taste much difference between oak, cherry, apple, maple, hickory, etc.

Looks like it to me. Lots of it in my neck of the woods.

Back