Need some help with a BBQ sauce recipe

The tomato puree can be a big factor, too. Different brands of canned tomatoes can taste wildly different.

If he has a co packer making the sauce (Which I bet he does) it is hard to duplicate their ingredients. They have so many things available to them that the consumer does not. I was looking for a co packer, gave them my exact recipe and they did not bring me anything I was happy with. Of course, they were playing with cheaper ingredients so they could make more money.

As Bill (formally of Blues Hog), when Allegro changed his recipe without telling him.

While i agree with this for the most part. I have a personal situation where one of my favorite sauces was from a steakhouse they never sold their sauce, and went out of business. To this day i have tried to make a sauce similar. I came close, but its been so long that if i nailed it, i probably wouldn't remember anymore.

This right here. It never fails for me. I find something I really like, and then say I opened a restaurant or food truck counting on using their products. Then two years in after I built a really solid client base, they close up shop and I'm screwed. Now, I'm not going to open a restaurant, but would like to get my brewery off the ground one day. That said, when you find something you really like and then it dissapears, it sucks.

Also, I made 4 different batches today. I'm not a fan of the first two that I used ACV in. However, the second two might be winners. One of them I may like even better than the original I was after.

I feel like I may have been looking too much into it. I like to cook and like to brew beer so used my taste buds of that into the second two batches. I want to give a them a day or two for the flavors to meld, but we shall see. Thanks for the help everyone.

It's very difficult to recreate a recipe with "spices" listed since there are so many to choose from, and each one will impart a unique flavor. Take a look at the food labeling law in CFR 21-101 and you will see what I mean.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.22
Look at the sugar content under carbohydrates in the nutritional label and that should dictate the amount of sugar to start out with. Tomato Puree will have sugar(natural and possibly added) as well so you will have to scale back some.

Back