Cured Smoked Salmon

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you know there is a "Cured" Throwdown going on?

Figured I try something a little different than the normal Gravlax I usually make. Googling will find you all sorts of things, so this time around I'm trying a beet cured Gravlax. But since this is the Brethren and a TD entry has to be smoked/grilled, this will technically be smoked salmon rather than Gravlax which is not smoked.

Allegedly, the beets should not overpower the taste of the salmon, but instead give it an awesome color. We shall see.

The players

2RA23qXh.jpg

Mix up the cure, I normally use white sugar and salt, but trying brown sugar this time along with some cracked coriander & caraway seeds.

GAwL7Loh.jpg

Grate up the beets. Couldn't find any fresh ones anywhere, so used canned.

T42gmvyh.jpg

Gravlax has to have dill, and I'm a Polack so dill is mandatory.

REhiUpxh.jpg

Put down a layer of dill, grated beets, cure, salmon and more cure on top.

QxviuI8h.jpg

Add the beets and dill

qDznU80h.jpg

CCfCQTBh.jpg

Then wrap it all up in a couple layers of plastic wrap.

bI3y1I8h.jpg

Into a baking dish, weigh it down with something heavy and into the fridge.

VrYK3j3h.jpg

Now the hard part.... Waiting...

Cure for three days flipping it over every day. Then it'll finally get a cold smoke.

More to come.

I'll be following this for sure. I've heard of using beets, but have never tried it.
From my research on a cold smoked lox technique, I found many references to "Nova lox", but ran into many brick walls on the method. Even an online cooking friend from Nova Scotia drew a blank. :mrgreen:

From what I gather Nova refers to where the salmon is from and also the style of smoking. Belly salmon from Nova Scotia that is cold smoked.

I ran across this from Bon Appetit which gives a good explanation, but no real techniques.

Know Your Lox and Nova from Your Gravlax

I started with techniques that pre-dated refrigeration, so you could imagine the salt content and cure times. I have a 'History' section at the beginning of my Nova Lox article, you can check it out HERE. All I can tell you is that my friends that like lox or Gravlox like Nova. Mine has a candied texture which is likely not traditional at all. :twitch:

I do something similar with citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange), dill, and vodka.

Start of day 2. Quite a bit more liquid than usual, squeezing out that beet juice I suppose. But not getting good contact with the weights. I thought I had two of those dishes, but can't find the second one.

eWPh0vUh.jpg

Plan B, flip it over and on to a sheet pan with another one on top. That should give it some even pressure. Normally don't like to use such a big pan, but we'll see what happens.

E50si0qh.jpg

y3P6ZX6h.jpg

I cure and cold smoke a lot of salmon and love it. Looking forward to seeing how you like the beet method Andy. Lookin' good!

I am following closely.Made sure it was regular beets and not pickled beets.

Done curing! Let's open that package up.

QLpV38nh.jpg

Scrape everything off. Wow, look at that color.

z6ZWBjsh.jpg

n58lYrYh.jpg

Onto a rack and into the fridge overnight to form a pellicle, then a cold smoke tomorrow. Almost want to skip the cold smoke and just dive right in...

hbP47Orh.jpg

Back