MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #76
kpq
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Serlington View Post
well i just tried making a half batch of this, minus the sage because i didn't have any, and i added a little extra brown sugar. and i only had 3/4 of a cup of cider vinegar so i used a quarter cup white with it. not too bad but i've had better vinegar type sauces.
everybody has there own taste on things but how do u tell if something is good or not if u don't make it as the recipe calls for?u might like it if u do!

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #77
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpq View Post
everybody has there own taste on things but how do u tell if something is good or not if u don't make it as the recipe calls for?u might like it if u do!
yeah, i like to follow the original recipe then tweak if needed.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #78
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

But there is this one thing I saw in BOTH Va and Tennessee I plan to do. They shred up the pulled pork like normal but then chill or freeze it.
Interesting! The BBQ restaurant I worked at while in high school used to do just that! The only difference is, we never seasoned any of the pork, pulled or minced but it was still delicious. The place is still in business. It opened in 1954. But, the original family sold it a while back and the new owners, in my opinion, have no idea what they are doing and the quality just isn't there anymore.

We would chop the "outside" meat which was the bark that was too hard for most people to eat and mix it with a little chopped pulled pork, freeze it, and reheat it to serve on minced BBQ sandwiches. Because we used direct heat, the bark would get a little hard on some parts of the shoulder. Even so, some people would specifically order "outside" meat just for the bark. But, far more people ordered pulled rather than minced, so it made sense to keep it chilled until time for use. The flavor of the minced was very good and quite different from the pulled. I didn't know that other places did that too. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #79
bigbrew25
Got rid of the matchlight.

Will have to try this. Thanks!!
bigbrew25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #80
Flash_333
Got Wood.

Outstanding info.
Flash_333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #81
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

This stuff is phenomenal definitely going to be a toss up on PP between it and mustard sauce.. Made up a batch of this and shack attack a couple a days ago for the 3 small butts I did yesterday.. Everyone loved the Griffin sauce..

The vinegar hits you first than the brown sugar takes off the edge.. Just enough sweet from the brown sugar but not too sweet seeings it does not have honey or molasses.

Thanks again
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #82
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
This stuff is phenomenal definitely going to be a toss up on PP between it and mustard sauce.. Made up a batch of this and shack attack a couple a days ago for the 3 small butts I did yesterday.. Everyone loved the Griffin sauce..

The vinegar hits you first than the brown sugar takes off the edge.. Just enough sweet from the brown sugar but not too sweet seeings it does not have honey or molasses.

Thanks again
YW, a very good description of the sauce's flavor, too! To me, the flavor has a character that you can't buy in a bottle nowadays.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #83
patrickjf1
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Celery seed and celery have slightly different flavors and celery takes a while to cook, so I have no idea on that one.

As far as garlic, I'd suggest 1 or 2 at most finely chopped cloves of garlic.

Thanks Boshizzle. I will use the fresh garlic. Will experiment with the celery. Since I'm a garlic lover I might add just a smidgen more to test.
patrickjf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #84
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjf1 View Post
Thanks Boshizzle. I will use the fresh garlic. Will experiment with the celery. Since I'm a garlic lover I might add just a smidgen more to test.
Let us know how it goes!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #85
SlowSmoked
Full Fledged Farker

Just made a batch of this. Used Heinz unfiltered raw acv. This is one of the best pork/vinegar based sauce I've ever had. thx.
SlowSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #86
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

I like mustard on dogs and burgers but I don't like mustard on
Q except for Sims in Little Rock and I can't find a recipe similar. I guess ill
Keep going back and buying it in styrofoam cups.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #87
SlowSmoked
Full Fledged Farker

Interested to hear the results with fresh garlic. The granulated garlic should definitely have better dissolution and give a more rounded flavor throughout the sauce.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #88
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

love your posts boshizzle. As a virginny boy, BBQ disciple and overall history buff, can't wait for your book.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #89
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

I made a batch last weekend for a small party we had and I got to say it was a
Grand Slam!! Everybody loved it! Thanks Boshizzle!
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #90
SlowSmoked
Full Fledged Farker

My batch has been sitting 24 hours in the fridge. Having pulled pork sandwhiches topped with the red sauce and I'm making jalapeño cilantro lime slaw to stack on top. Looking forward to this

Tags
barbecue sauce, BBQ Sauce, sauce, VA BBQ, Virginia, Virginia barbecue, Virginia BBQ