MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #61
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywp1 View Post
Do you have a old school recipe for VA rub?
The first rub on Virginia barbecue was nothing. After that, a little hickory ash. After that, perhaps a little salt. But, early on, all they did was put meat on the pit and baste it with vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne.

Later, some of the more well to do people did some interesting things but it was just to distinguish the food they ate from the food their servants ate.

In the early 20th century, Virginia BBQ was pretty much seasoned with nothing, salt, salt water, or salt, pepper, cayenne and perhaps a little brown sugar and cumin.

Virginia barbecue style is minimalist. It's not candy coated like some other regional styles. It's about the meat and the smoke as much as anything.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #62
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
I made this for a graduation party last weekend and it was a total hit. Not sure a lot of folks like vinegar in my area so their enthusiastic approval of this sauce was a surprise. I did some pulled pork and decided to try this instead of my usual Lexington sauce that I normally conjure up for pulled pork and it was a wise decision!!
Awesome, thanks! I'm glad you all liked it!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #63
tdizzle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

definitely gonna try this tomorrow looks gooooooood
tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #64
kpq
On the road to being a farker

made both VERY GOOD MY #1 sauce from now on thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #65
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Great sauce, made some for my ribs this weekend, pure awesomeness. I used my homemade apple cider vinegar, I feel like it gave the sauce a whole range of flavor. This is definitely my go to sauce now!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #66
LYU370

Wasn't too sure when I first made it, but after sitting for a few days it mellowed out and turned out to be quite tasty!

Thanks!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #67
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknabnoj View Post
Great sauce, made some for my ribs this weekend, pure awesomeness. I used my homemade apple cider vinegar, I feel like it gave the sauce a whole range of flavor. This is definitely my go to sauce now!
Sounds awesome! Tell us how you made the vinegar!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #68
Boshizzle

I'm glad you all like the sauce!

I'm very proud of the brethren when it comes to the Shack sauce. Everyone that I have seen honor the old time BBQ cooks by always calling it by Shack's name. All I ask for this sauce is that you all call this one Griffin sauce to honor a great old time BBQ cook that history has up to now forgotten.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #69
juno
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Made some shack last week. Making up some griffin tonight! Thank you for the recipes!
juno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #70
patrickjf1
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Often referred to by writers of his era as a "free man of color," Griffin became a very famous barbecue cook and restaurateur in Richmond, Virginia in the early to mid 1800s.

Sometime before 1853 Griffin had opened his own restaurant and by 1860, he had revitalized an entire area of the city. In fact, an Island in the James River was called "Griffin Island" for several decades. By the 1880's, people in Richmond longed for Griffin's barbecued shotes (~50 pound hogs), barbecued squirrels, and Brunswick stew.

Here is a Virginia red barbecue sauce inspired by Griffin. It's made old school style much like the sauces I used to see served at roadside barbecue stands when I was a kid but updated slightly for our modern palates. It also contains only ingredients that are known to have been used by Virginians up to the 1800's.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup water
2 TBS yellow mustard
1.5 TBS Kosher salt
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS paprika (don't use a spicy hot variety; I prefer a bright red Spanish paprika)
1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp fine ground black pepper
½ tsp ground sage
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp cumin
Dash ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Add ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring often. Let sauce simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, remove from heat, cool, and serve. Store in the refrigerator. It gets better after a couple of days too.
Looks good. If I wanted to use my magic bullet to blend fresh celery and garlic. What portions would I use rather than dry ingredients?
patrickjf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #71
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjf1 View Post
Looks good. If I wanted to use my magic bullet to blend fresh celery and garlic. What portions would I use rather than dry ingredients?
Celery seed and celery have slightly different flavors and celery takes a while to cook, so I have no idea on that one.

As far as garlic, I'd suggest 1 or 2 at most finely chopped cloves of garlic.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #72
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

well i just tried making a half batch of this, minus the sage because i didn't have any, and i added a little extra brown sugar. and i only had 3/4 of a cup of cider vinegar so i used a quarter cup white with it. not too bad but i've had better vinegar type sauces.
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #73
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

All I got to say if this tastes as good over pulled pork as it does as I am burning my finger going for 2nds and 3rd dips simmering in the pot, this is a winner... I have some Shack Attack for the girlfriend mixed up in the fridge as she is a low carb life... But this recipe may surpass my favorite mustard sauce recipe for pork THANKS ALOT...
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #74
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Made the SA this weekends pork. As already said, this ages like a fine wine. Unfortunately the pork is going to run out before the week to really taste it's glory

Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #75
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I am not posting my video of Purgatory Stout because I don't love Shack Attack. As I mentioned, Shack Attack INSPIRED purgatory stout - which is a stout that can be modified by sweetners'ketchup/mustard to make any sauce or stand alone.

I mention Boshizzle at 3:25

But I am interested in this griffin thing. Now that I have the MKT, which will probably cook burgers and dogs and sausage as well as some Cambro Bought in BBQ.

But there is this one thing I saw in BOTH Va and Tennessee I plan to do. They shred up the pulled pork like normal but then chill or freeze it.

Then when the customer ordered a sandwich they scooped it out and placed it on a griddle flat top on butter. I think they toasted the buns.... the pork was steamed with a but of vinegar sauce covered by a large lid... like the lid you use on a turkey cooker. I think the buns were steamed too

But lastly was a great sauce like this griffith stuff here. I can't wait to see the consistency of it (how it sticks to the meat).

Remember, there are entire BBQ Meccas up near there that don't put a SMIDGEN of rub on the pork or hog... because the flavor is in those sauces.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue sauce, BBQ Sauce, sauce, VA BBQ, Virginia, Virginia barbecue, Virginia BBQ