first cook on my Shirley patio and weeping ribs cook

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
for years I've wanted a Shirley fabrication patio model reverse flow smoker. the stars finally aligned this weekend. Friday I received a tax rebate from the state (thanks Big Gretch) and then seen a Shirley locally for sale. I decided to go for it. it was a very big purchase for me but one good thing about those pits made in Tuscaloosa is the resale is near 100%

here she is. very clean, I believe I'm the third owner

time to fire this thing up. it's been several years since I've cooked in a stuck burner. I had an ok joe longhorn. that thing was a toy compared to the Shirley.

a lot of room especially for the footprint. more than I'll realistically need. I think up to 6 briskets could fit in there

for my first cook I went with ribs. I already bought them with plans for a Sunday cook before I even bought the smoker. like it was destined. I decided to go with an oldie. pitmaster T's weeping ribs

https://youtu.be/GbBFZstQRUY?si=ldG58MYIl8AYSYts

this is a no wrap no frills method of cooking. you shut down the pit when the ribs start to weep pig honey and let them coast home

here's that frothy goodness...shut it down

not bad, it will only get better

Well played Sir...the timing there is just incredible! Congratulations and I hope you had a blast with your new smoker.

Man, that thing looks new, especially for up there! What a great time of year to get her too. Lots of nice weather to come to enjoy getting to know her. Congratulations!!! The ribs look excellent. We are sitting here wondering what to throw in our Shirley today and decided on wings. We love the smoke that it puts on chicken. But then, everything that we have tried on it has been great. Enjoy!

Congrats.

Two questions for you. How's the smoke flavor?

It seems like for the main chamber, Shirley's take a barrel, cut 80% out of it and fabricate a cabinet into it. Do you know why? The sliver of barrel on the left, does it server any purpose other than to attach a handle to? I don't see a bottom area for a reverse flow.

Congrats on your new acquisition Steve, I hope there are many relaxing smoke sessions in your future, and take good care of her because that will be a hand-me-down for the kids to enjoy.

Congrats.

It seems like for the main chamber, Shirley's take a barrel, cut 80% out of it and fabricate a cabinet into it. Do you know why? The sliver of barrel on the left, does it server any purpose other than to attach a handle to? I don't see a bottom area for a reverse flow.

They fabricate the cabinet because it creates more cooking area with three shelves vs a single shelf with perhaps a half shelf above it like a traditional offset. The reverse flow plate is underneath the bottom shelf below the door & is easily cleaned by removing the bottom grate. The barrel is actually 3/8” thick steel while the cabinet is 1/4, the fire box is available in 1/2” or insulated as well as the standard design which I believe is 3/8”? Also, the newer patio cookers have an additional steel plate on the top of the firebox to shield the exterior from excessive heat. All in all one hell of a smoker with some of the nicest folks you’ll ever meet!

Congrats.

pretty good answer already but I'll add to it.

others would know more than me but the "barrel" is at least 60% intact. you get a decent look in my 2nd pic. the bottom is round and there is a baffle plate along the bottom. the elevated portion gives you more room and allows for a door. there is also more room on the racks at the barrel portion. the cabinet door is one of the best features of the cooker. I'm not really sure why they don't just build a box instead of cutting into a round tube like they do. I'm sure there is a reason and I can speculate but honestly have no clue. I think it looks great though.

as for smoke flavor it's exactly what you would expect from a stick burner. I have always preferred a really clean fire especially for ribs and it was no trouble here. I could have put out more smoke if I wanted to. the Shirley drafted well. I can only say so much since I've only cooked once and the cooker wasn't loaded.

You can't get much better than that. That's about the top of the heap for us backyard folks. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Oh, hell yeah smoke ninja! Really looking forward to your cook threads!

Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on your purchase and your product.

Oh, hell yeah smoke ninja! Really looking forward to your cook threads!

I look forward to posting more cooks. I've really lost some of my passion for bbq. I don't cook as often but what really miss is cooking for fun...experimenting or trying new ways to do things. I hope this relights the fire in me.

Sweet cooker and the right person to own it. Nothing beats Q off of an offset. Congrats!

Back