MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #7336
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I use a small square of folded aluminum foil to raise the lid up slightly in 1 spot- it gives it a bit more exhaust to help get the chicken up to boogie temp. If it's not enough, fold it again - it won't take much.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #7337
jklich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Ribs and chicken turn out awesome. If you got the hanging grate then do a fatty too!! Post pics!
Please forgive my lack of knowledge as I am new to the forum - but what's a fatty? The only thing I could find was a log of breakfast sausage covered in some type of rub. Is that it or did it start as that and morph into something else? Or is it something completely different?
jklich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #7338
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklich View Post
Please forgive my lack of knowledge as I am new to the forum - but what's a fatty? The only thing I could find was a log of breakfast sausage covered in some type of rub. Is that it or did it start as that and morph into something else? Or is it something completely different?
You nailed it!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #7339
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Yep. Buy a basic log of breakfast sausage...Jimmy Dean, Bob Evans, store brand. Doesn't matter. Original, sage, maple, spicy...whatever you like. Rub it with your basic rib rub. I prefer a little sweet rub. Others will do a spicy rub on a maple sausage....whatever you like.

Smoke it until the internal temp hits 175-185. Slice in rounds..enjoy.

Once you try that...then you can try other variations, including stuffing it with cheese, veggies...or even eggs and hash browns.

You can thank me later.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #7340
jklich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Yep. Buy a basic log of breakfast sausage...Jimmy Dean, Bob Evans, store brand. Doesn't matter. Original, sage, maple, spicy...whatever you like. Rub it with your basic rib rub. I prefer a little sweet rub. Others will do a spicy rub on a maple sausage....whatever you like.

Smoke it until the internal temp hits 175-185. Slice in rounds..enjoy.

Once you try that...then you can try other variations, including stuffing it with cheese, veggies...or even eggs and hash browns.

You can thank me later.
I'll thank you now! I had never even thought of that but it is quite logical and sounds amazing. That will definitely be part of my first cook.
jklich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #7341
funstuie
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
If you have problems locating the skewers try these guys. For the money they make great skewers. You may have to bend the ends into a hook shape like I did but it's not a big deal.

http://www.kabobmaster.com/product-category/skewers/
Based on your posts I decided to check out some local mediterean/middle eastern store and I found some long skewers for $1 each. Decided to marindade some chicken and test them out on the kamado joe. They worked perfectly and as they are so cheap I have no problem bending them for use in my PBC (which arrives tomorrow)

funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #7342
Livermoron
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Livermoron

Pretty much the same setup I have. Throw in a rotisserie for the kettle and you'll have a ton of flexibility (I do my tri tips on the roti).
Livermoron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #7343
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
And I generally only crack it for about 5 minutes. That's all it takes to make a significant increase in temp. Making sure the intake is clear is important. Some charcoal is crap, or moist or whatever. I assume you're storing your fuel somewhere out of the weather.
In take was clear but it was windy on 2 out of 3 cook.
The last run was Royal Oak charcoal that was newly opened and stored inside garage a few days prior to cook time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Last thing I'd wonder about is your thermometer. Do you trust it?
I just bought Theromoworks Smoke when I got the PBC about a month ago. I don't have a mean to verify it's working correctly but I was told it's pretty reliable.
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #7344
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
I use a small square of folded aluminum foil to raise the lid up slightly in 1 spot- it gives it a bit more exhaust to help get the chicken up to boogie temp. If it's not enough, fold it again - it won't take much.
This is a great idea. I'll try this next time.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #7345
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a theory on why my PBC not running hot. I read from the early part of this thread that people experienced uneven burn and suggest to put charcoal on the far end from the intake to created a more even burn.
The first cook I spread lit charcoal around but that was a rainy day. I noticed uneven burn pattern. So, I followed "old advance" and took charcoal from one side for chimney starter then dump lit charcoal back to the "hole" just created rather than spread out like PBC video.
Maybe that cause fire not spreading out to unburned charcoal as quick as needed to keep temperature up.
I'll try the spread out method next time and report back.
btw. I tried to read the whole thread but it's just too much. I spent 3 nights reading it and finally gave up.

Last edited by viodea; 10-04-2017 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #7346
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea View Post
I have a theory on why my PBC not running hot. I read from the early part of this thread that people experienced uneven burn and suggest to put charcoal on the far end from the intake to created a more even burn.
The first cook I spread lit charcoal around but that was a rainy day. I noticed uneven burn pattern. So, I followed "old advance" and took charcoal from one side for chimney starter then dump lit charcoal back to the "hole" just created rather than spread out like PBC video.
Maybe that cause fire not spreading out to unburned charcoal as quick as needed to keep temperature up.
I'll try the spread out method next time and report back.
btw. I tried to read the whole thread but it's just too much. I spent 3 nights reading it and finally gave up.
I look forward to hearing back from you on this. Sounds like a good plan.
Yeah, reading the whole thread is a feat--you could learn Swahili in the time it takes.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #7347
TheMoth
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea View Post
I just bought Theromoworks Smoke when I got the PBC about a month ago. I don't have a mean to verify it's working correctly but I was told it's pretty reliable.
You do have a way to verify it...just boil some water. You should get 212F or pretty darn close. You can also use a glass of ice water to test the lower end at 32F.

Also if the meat is too close to the probe in the PBC you could see some false low temps. If you have 2 probes put them both in and see if they read the same.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #7348
tonyjohnson619
is one Smokin' Farker

Has anyone put a rotisserie on there pbc? If so witch one
tonyjohnson619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #7349
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjohnson619 View Post
Has anyone put a rotisserie on there pbc? If so witch one
Yep. Sako (of course) and HPete did too, I think. I'll see if I can dig up their posts for you...

Old 10-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #7350
tonyjohnson619
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks bud
tonyjohnson619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it