MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Holding whole brisket/pork long term in heated cabinet?

Hi Gang,

We have been vending in our area for several months now with excellent success. Serving very fresh brisket and pork is one reason for the success but on occasion (competition weekends primarily) we have found the need to cook, refrigerate, and reheat our vending meats a day in advance. While the results are acceptable they are not ideal as the quality certainly takes a hit from the reheating process.

I have held large cuts above 140 degrees 6 to 8 hours with no noticeable loss in quality. My question does anyone have experience holding large cut meats (wrapped in foil or plastic) even longer (12 to 18 hours) using a mechanical unit. I have heard of establishments that due to volume and capacity use this method out of necessity but no direct information or knowledge. So reaching out to the wise Brethren.

Thanks, Matt
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Matt,
We have to do something like that because of our limited cooking space.. We'll smoke a batch for 5 or 6 hours, then wrap them and move them to a heated holding box running just over 200. They have been in there upwards of 10 ours or so while we cook the next batch. If they are wrapped tight, it works well..especially for pulled pork and brisket. Might need to experiment a bit with temp.

Rok

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

we have had real good luck holding in food film , never tried an extended hold, but one of our local bbq joints holds in an alto sham it has controls over both heat and humidity i believe...

Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

answer on its way

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

In this vid and others you see the Tri Level process....which usually includes an impressive resting period (rendering)

This process does NOT include a chill down or freeze. I think it does reduce the quality. There is a loss and mushiness to meat that got cooked, chilled and reheated....that is not there for the overnight hold.

After the Prerub (Glitter and Lawreys - or visa versa)

The Dirty Dalmatian Post Rub

(After Final step in Tri-Level Rub) Ready for the Pit

Ready to Pull and Wrap (Weeping) Bark hard enough to dull knife

Wrapped and ready for a night's rest in the Proofing Oven at 160 or so.

Rested Brisket woken up... Proofing Oven Behind... Still More in there

Unwrapped and rested in the air... The Bark has snapped back... is the right texture but will not dull an edge as much as before.

Brisket Yielding to my Pizza Knife... Dull, Dull Pizza Knife.

Edict.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Donnie. When I was a brisket noob I watched and read just about everything you've posted - even did the Night Train brisket. I bow to your greatness and thank you! My vending brisket (which I prefer to our comp brisket) is a straight up traditional Texas style brisket I think you would be proud of. Finding good brisket here in southern Ohio is a challenge to say the least and I literally have had customers eyes roll back in there head upon sampling. That said the learning never ends!

I am very familiar with your wrap and hold process and have used it many times - did so for at least 8 hours with a holding cabinet for a big cook earlier this year. I guess my question is do you or anyone else have experience using this technique to hold even longer than 8 hours? Say 12 to 18 or even 24 hours? Has anyone tried it? At what point holding large cuts of beef or pork (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the safe zone above 140) do bad things start to happen? Food safety concerns?
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Well let me see....

I started doing the briskets earlier two years ago.... they are off by 5. and all wrapped and in the holder by 6. Sometimes as early as 5. Pork butts definately in by 5.

I generally pull them to cool at 8 to 9 the next day...for a 300 plate get the hell out of here, butcher wrapped meat fest at 11:30 when church lets out. People's perception is that is the freshest they have ever seen, being that its all cut with that knife within minutes. The sound of 7 people wrapping up 1 and 1/2 pound servings is quite the racket... LOL

So that is at the most 14 - 15 hours of holding. My peeps that volunteer the first time always think... open it now...there is no way you can cut all that in 30 minutes!!! I gaurd that box with my life.

Edict.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I cook my brisket in 750 lb batches. When they come off I cool them completely and let the fat re hydrate into the meat. I chop them cold or slice them cold and reheat in the oven or cooken in a pan with some liquid for vending. I have had no real quality issues.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I can attest to something Jacked upm is saying and it gets asked here a lot.

I never thought to say what he said though but its damn true.

First, he sort of does part of what can be found on page 144 of "the book." Mills.

But he says something everyone should know. IF YOU ARE INCLINED to pre slice let it cool. Many slice when it is hot or even just warm. If you have to preslice and sometimes you just have to, this is the best way. If you can wrap in plastic after you slice, and reheat in the plastic, thats even better.

Thanks Jacked!

Edict.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the post. I just asked about this in the catering forum.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
eplain
Knows what a fatty is.

Question!... I cooked a 12lb Brisket last week. A friend was up from down south and asked for it on a Monday night but i work! so i had to cook it Sunday (8am to 8pm). I never did this before. It was in my WSW for 10 hours at a steady 225, the 2 hours wrapped in foil at 225. Out it came and rested in the foil for an hour. it appeared perfectly cooked. then i decided to wrap it in film and refrigerate. I took it out hours in advance on Monday night and put it in an oven at about 170 until it was warm throughout. I took it to the cutting board and it was AMAZING! so tender and juicy as hell. BUT! after being in the serving bowl for about 15 minutes, it began to tighten up and get VERY DRY! WHOA! What happened??? BTW- I trimmed most of my fat, for years I didnt do that. tried that the last 2 times and I swear I will never ever do THAT again. Maybe score the fat deep at 1 in. cross cut if at all, but I will NEVER trim my fat again (unless its excessive). Any thoughts?
eplain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I think you got it, eplain.

Edict.

Tags
holding, vending