Tri-tip Special

LongTong

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been looking for a sale to try out the Oakridge Santa Maria and Carne Crosta that arrived last week. I had to see what all the fuss is about. Found this nicely marbled cut for $5.99 lbs. She was just under 2 lbs.

Tri-tip Ing. (2).jpg

I went 50/50 on the rubs. RO lump on the kettle. I overshot my temp a little but otherwise this was a very tasty cut. I thought I went light on the rubs but it was really peppery. Not bad but maybe too much for the girls. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to trying it on a rib eye...

View attachment 182267

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
Awesome plate!. Love me the tri tip special especially from Ralph's.

Looks great! I tried my first tri tip a week ago and while the flavor was nice I found it too chewy. Any idea what I may have done wrong. Consensus is that I failed to slice across the grain.

looks great! I tried my first tri tip a week ago and while the flavor was nice i found it too chewy. Any idea what i may have done wrong. Consensus is that i failed to slice across the grain.

Look for good marbling and and don’t be afraid to squeeze the Charmin if there’s a selection. The one we had was tender and buttery in flavor. Awesome piece. You’ll be able to pick out the more tender ones with a little practice. I remove every bit of silver skin. Slicing across the grain is crucial. Below, your first cut is the the black line. Then slice perpendicular to the white lines and enjoy. Of course don’t overcook it. Under cooked can be chewy too. I go for rare to medium rare. Sooner or later you’ll score a piece that will rock your world...

Good luck!

View attachment 182283

Last edited:
Nice looking! Had just done 2 3 pounders for a dinner party on Tuesday, but didn’t take pics.

Back