What to do with spare rib trimmings?

Dr. Endo

Reaction score
Hey guys, Tomorrow I'm going to cook my first rack of spare ribs. I'll trim them St. Louis style and was wondering what good ideas you guys have about what to do with your trimmings. Anyone want to share thier thoughts?

Also, can I smoke spare ribs 3-2-1 style like I've done baby backs ? Do I hvae to do anything differently?:mmph:

Throw them in the trash.....that's what everyone does right :razz:?

I normally cook them like my st louis trimmed spares. They take a little less time. As for st Louis I cook them 3ish 2ish 1ish depending upon ow they progress during each cooking phase. Some need less time in foil.

cook em with the ribs, they tend to get done faster and I consider them cooks treats, and taste testers.

Agree, throw them in the trash. But that's a lot of work, so why don't you send them to me and I'll do it for you. :wink:

Good Luck!

cook em with the ribs, they tend to get done faster and I consider them cooks treats, and taste testers.
This is my way too. I mop them cause the girls don't like wet que. I use a hot que too for the same reason..

This is what I have done before

Spicy miso sauce, started on the smoker and then put them on the gas grill.

Snack away:thumb:

rib-ends.jpg

I use them to test rubs like Bigdog does. But I am getting a food grinder for my KA mixer, so I will clean the cartilage out and grind them up for some pork burgers I think.

I actually freeze mine and then use them when I make spaghetti sauce

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I cook them along with the ribs. Like others said, their either the cooks treat, or taste teasers to hand out to the dinner guests.

If there are any left, I chop them into small pieces, freeze them, and use them in stir fry veggies or in beans. They're also great to fill an omelet or a pot pie.

Chris

What timing, I just trimmed up a couple of racks last night to throw on the UDS this morning. I take the trimmings and put a few with the ribs as snackers. The rest go in the freezer to add to other cooks as snackers, or for beans.

Lately I have been cooking my spares and then trim. Trimming then go into Tomato Macaroni, fried rice or spagetti sauce

Cook them up - use in beans, jambalaya... where ever I need some pork...

Back