• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Interesting. I did two butts on saturday-sunday and my cook was just short of 20 hours at 16 pounds of pork. Does that seem "long" to you guys? It didn't seem long to me but then maybe my temps dropped a bit at one point.

My last 2 smokes were as follows
15lbs - over 24hrs picnic and butt
15lbs - 18 hours butt
I tried keeping the temps at 240 degrees and pulled at an internal of 200 degrees, this was on my GOSM both were boneless.
I think I must have been doing something wrong, I have 40lbs just waiting for my stickburner, hopefully those times will fare better.

I've tried Pulled Pork twice.
Failed both times.

I am really curious if there is a set internal temperature when you guys suggest that I remove the butt from the smoker and put into a dry cooler?
Or if a dry cooler is even necessary. I am in dire need of some help.
I've got it on the smoker now and I was considering just leaving it on until it hits 200 degrees internally and then letting it rest for about 45 minutes then begin to pull.
Is this a good idea.
I'd love any ideas and/or suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I will be sure to post the results.

Third time is a charm!

I put the damn thing on at 2pm. Learned my lesson. I set an alarm for 2am.
Internal temp was at 193... close enough.

I pulled it and it looked/tasted great!

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions.

Keep Grilling!

What was your conclusion? why were the first 2 failures? maybe you can save someone from Butt Failure in the future.

looks like you got it! I go by the bone and the feel of the meat..when the bone pulls out easily, and the meat feels like a big blob of jello, it is done. I always let rest at least an hour and then pull...my temps are usually around 200-203 when they reach the above stages

Back