MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #31
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Day 3..... (I think its day 3 anyways)...... Snack stick smoking time. So I left the snack sticks in a long rope tied into different links... Took them out to the smoker and realized it just wasn't gonna work that way.... I had to go back inside.. cut the rope into small sections to make it all fit. You can tell the difference from the bottom rack to the top rack..

Decided not to use the bottom rack purely for the fact it's really close to the element. I don't have a problem smoking both snack stick batches separately.

I'll say this having a meat probe in the snack sticks is probably not very useful. I'm not sure if its reading correctly but after 1 hour at 130 degree's it is sitting at 110 degree's.. I rushed out there started adding smoke and bumped the temp to 150. I'll use the meat probe as a "guide" instead of a tool

Update: Forgot to add picture LOL

Last edited by blazinfire; 12-09-2017 at 01:01 PM..
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #32
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Blazin,

I don't think I've ever seen a thread from you that wasn't all into the deep end.

Keep the pRon rolling, brother, I'm loving it.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #33
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
Blazin,

I don't think I've ever seen a thread from you that wasn't all into the deep end.

Keep the pRon rolling, brother, I'm loving it.
For sure man!! Finally getting some use out of the MES40...... That thing is just kicking along just great.. I've got my money worth out of it just in this cook alone.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #34
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Man I just couldn't resist.. I had to at least cut open 1 more log the check for quality.... Decided to choose the smallest Jalapeno and cheese stuffed log.. This was a "left over" Log and it was half the size of the rest.. Figured if there was failure it would be this one.

Hi-Temp cheese would of helped. Cheese is a little bit soft. I let the sausages sit out in the open while I took a nap to bloom roughly 4 hours at room temp. I just put them in the fridge a hour or so ago.. So I'm sure after a fulll night in the fridge everything will solidify and be great. Oh yeah.... its farking goood!!!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #35
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Looks great!

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #36
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I was going to mention the high temp cheese, but I don' think it has much flavor.
Nice going.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #37
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
I was going to mention the high temp cheese, but I don' think it has much flavor.
Nice going.
Well my plans were.. and I made a thread a few days ago asking about high temp cheese or I could be fine without it.. as I would have to travel or order it online..

Exactly as you said I've read other people saying they didn't enjoy the flavor from the high temp cheese as much... Chose to go with sharp cheddar cheese... for that reason.

I say it'll be nice. I'm gonna vac/seal and leave them in the fridge over night tonight. I say after cooling over night they will be just right... Then I plan on freezing a couple of them that'll help everything meld back together

Old 12-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #38
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Since you're happy with it today, you will love it tomorrow!
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #39
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

at what point should I vac seal the summer sausages.. they are sitting in the fridge right now... been there since noon. Was thinking about going ahead and doing it tonight while I wait for snack sticks...

Next post will be interesting.. had some unexpected turn of events in the whole process.. Waiting to dodge in and out of the house as its farkin cold outside

Old 12-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #40
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Well once again I found out how absent minded I am about things.. First batch of snack sticks have been going with no smoke for a couple hours.... I'm sitting here watching the temp rise sitting at 135IT...... Thinking damn its gonna be another few hours until the next batch goes on....... then the light bulb lit up......

Put the first batch in the oven....... Put the 2nd batch in the smoker DUH!!!!!!! Wish I thought of that once I took off the smoke...... So I've been inside this entire time since the sun went down.... walked outside to a nice dusting of snow!!! This has turned into a "Snot" cook (those who know will know)...... Good thing is the electric smoker is under a roof and isn't effected by the snow.

Here's a picture.. snack sticks even the crispy/wrinkled ones are sitting at 130 something.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 PM   #41
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Alright well things are happening now.. I checked all snack sticks. anything above 155 I pulled. some were right at 155.. some were even at like 170... This is about 1/2 of the first batch coming off.. the rest are still in the oven.. I have the 2nd batch in the smoker now.. I'll be transferring it to the oven after the smoke season and the oven free's up.

Alright first up...... I will completely change my first impressions on the snack stick seasonings.. Completely changed my mind after eating the final product.. I even ate one of the more over cooked sticks and I enjoyed it.. I can pick out that "strange" flavor but it is nothing like what it smells from the container.

Here's the finished snack sticks.. I'll let them bloom and rest for a while then I'll split one open for internal pictures

Old 12-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #42
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

First batch of snack sticks are done. Just a reminder this is a 2.5 gallon bag.

I'll do a full scale photo tomorrow to finish the thread :) Thanks for looking!

Old 12-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #43
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Well its 4:45 a.m. Just pulled a few pieces of snack sticks from the 2nd batch off at 155 IT... Directions call for 152.... so I'm calling it good at 155. just to be safe. But I figured out my new method hands down..

After the 3-4 hours of applying smoke finish them in the oven.. Seems to me you get a better "even" result... in the smoker there seemed to be several hot spots in different locations... and those snack sticks in those area's were cooking a lot faster.. causing more wrinkled casing

Old 12-10-2017, 05:21 AM   #44
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Alright.. Well the Marathon is about over.. This is the full 2nd batch minus 2 sticks. As you can see here in the picture it seems to have cooked a bit more evenly than the first batch that spent most of the time in the smoker.

It was a good idea to do both flavors of snack sticks as well.. The mild flavor from TSM goes well together with the kick the Hi-mountain Hunter's Blend has.. Gives us two different flavor profiles :)

have a good night folks!! Thanks for looking.. Thanks for those who I have spoke to through out the past few weeks to help with details and information on how to make this happen.

Last edited by blazinfire; 12-10-2017 at 05:59 AM..
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #45
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Great job. Love the pic with one with the cheese. I need to get into making that type of stuff.