MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
wahoowad
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : PookieBoo
Default Are vacuum seal units worth it over ziplock freezer bags?

Just the 2 of us here, and the missus doesn't eat much of the meat I smoke, so I put half of what I smoke in the freezer. Typically I use basic ziplock bags - sandwich, quart or gallon depending on how much I have to freeze. Sometimes I'll wrap the meat in plastic wrap first, or use a tupperware tub.

Maybe my taste palette is undeveloped, but I don't ever recall having an issue with the defrosted meat. Sure, if I dig it out after 18 months it might be all freezer burnt (and this happens ) but usually I am getting to it within a few months.

Curious if I'm really missing out on something with the use of these vacuum seal units to make it worth having one more appliance stuffed in my kitchen cabinets?
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

A few years back I bought a super duper awesome vacuum unit.....used it some, but put it away and never use it.

Freezer bags & double freezer bags work great for my small family.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I double freezer bag meat more than I seal. To me the value comes from everything else I seal. I think it paid for itself just in keeping chips and cereal fresh. We used to throw out stale stuff all the time. Now we just reseal it the bag it came in. Anything that is in a bag can be resealed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Check your local Craigslist for a used vacuum sealer. I found mine for under $15. I use mine when cutting down primals, dryaging, brisket, and pulled pork. The bags also work great for reheating. Portion out pulled pork or brisket to meal size and toss in the freezer. When you need a quick meal you can grab the bag and throw it in a pot of hot water and you will have food ready to eat in minutes.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
EdLo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I double freezer bag meat more than I seal. To me the value comes from everything else I seal. I think it paid for itself just in keeping chips and cereal fresh. We used to throw out stale stuff all the time. Now we just reseal it the bag it came in. Anything that is in a bag can be resealed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Is there a particular brand or model?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

I have a $40 food saver. I love it. I get freezer burn when I use just freezer bags. I don’t when I vac seal.
I have no idea about the $200 units. I’ve had mine for over 2 years and I am extremely happy with it. Like WeberWho mentioned I use it to reheat pulled pork a lot. I use my Anova sous vide to reheat pulled pork or cook frozen fish.
I recommend it whole heartedly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
sniperfx
Full Fledged Farker

Use my vac quite a bit. No freezer burn. Also use to pack rub into meats at comps. Works well..

Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have the 3440 foodsaver but I get bags in a roll and make my o

https://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Lock-Va...foodsaver+bags

Old 12-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I got a $70 foodsaver on Amazon prime day last year. Use it for meat and leftovers all the time. Buy 6lbs of ground beef at Costco for $3.30/lb ($6.99/lb in the grocery). Seal 3lbs into 1lb packs for tacos or chili or meatballs. Make and seal 3lbs into hamburger patties. Do the same with porkloins sliced into steaks, and other large volume packs.

Also works great for leftovers. Cook an 8lb pork butt and get 4lbs of meat. Eat 1lb for dinner and vacseal the rest into 1lb packs for tacos or chili and some 4oz packs for lunches. Ribs into 4 bone packs I send home with my mom.

Cold smoked cheese.

Lasts forever...fresh as the day you cooked it or bought it.

Edit:photos model 3240

Last edited by Stlsportster; 12-09-2017 at 08:44 AM..
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

I have had less expensive food savers and now the 15" Cabelas "Commercial".

They are certainly worth it for me. Batch cooking (cold smoking bacon, grinding sausage, processing a deer, etc...) makes it worth it to me. Now add in that I buy in bulk and seal into serving sizes, sous vide, reheat my bbq in it, etc...

Most useful tool besides my chefs knife in the kitchen.

TIP : Have a sealer and like fresh guac? Make the guac, vac seal leftovers when done. It will last weeks in the fridge with no browning. Cut the tip of the bag and pipe out the guac next time you want it. Reseal when done, repeat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

I've been through a series of sealers over the last 10 years or so. The current one is 7 years old and holding. They definitely do a better job (IMO) than zip-locks, and the food will last longer in the freezer.

Tip: if you can get one that uses regular food-safe bags rather than the the special chambered ones (yeah, Foodsaver, I mean you), you'll save a bundle of money. Enough money to cancel out double the price of the device in a not very long period of use. Price the bags, and you'll see.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

First vac sealer was a Foodsaver model from 1995. That thing worked out very well, lasting for about 4 years. Got a newer model, don't remember the model # but was a commercial type with 2 pumps. Replaced the rubber seals after about 3 years, kept on going for another 4 years. That one finally gave up the ghost and we bought another new model that lasted about 8 years.Then bought one of the first Foodsaver 3800 series that we still have, the style with the automatic vac/seal function. This past spring bought a VacMaster 320 chamber vacuum.
To say that we're sold on vacuum sealers is an understatement. Never freezer burn, pecans that were vac sealed 3 years ago are still fresh and crunchy. Briskets smoked a year ago, once thawed, are just like I smoked them yesterday. Cheese lasts virtually forever. I'm eating some smoked cheddar that was done 4 years ago.
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

We love ours. Just the two of us here. Great for meat sales and garden produce.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I dont really freeze any meat but I make a few days meals and seal them in the fridge. Its makes a huge difference. If it makes a huge difference in the fridge id suspect it would make a huge difference in the freezer too.

I have some $99 Food Saver I got at the grocery store. It works pretty decent but sometimes wont seal when liquid get in the seaing bar area. If you got the $$$$ a chamber vac is the way to go. Liquids are not an issue with them.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

If short term freezing of leftovers is the purpose then no, ziplocs will do the trick. However for sous vide at higher temps, storing bulk spices/rubs, long term freezer storage, marinating, etc it's worth it in my opinion.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->