MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
BABYGOTBUTT
On the road to being a farker

Default Competition Class????????????

Ok...I am considering attending a BBQ class and would appreciate any feedback anyone has on any of the classes they have attended. I have heard good things about Johnny Triggs class. Anybody been to Myron Mixon's class? If so was it worth it? Do they hold anything back (that you can tell)? Any other worthwhile classes?

Thanks!!!!!!

John
BABYGOTBUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

rub bagby "swamp boys" has a class close to you very soon. lots of brandnew teams with top fives and serval gc first couple of times out. nice guy to boot http://www.swampboys.com/Summer_Q_School.htm
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

try this one instead http://www.swampboys.com/MarylandPoster.htm
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYGOTBUTT View Post
Ok...I am considering attending a BBQ class and would appreciate any feedback anyone has on any of the classes they have attended. I have heard good things about Johnny Triggs class. Anybody been to Myron Mixon's class? If so was it worth it? Do they hold anything back (that you can tell)? Any other worthwhile classes?

Thanks!!!!!!

John
There are many great classes. Pick your weakest meat and take a class from the best cook in that category. IMHO. I took a class last year and my pork went from total carp to 12 in TOY.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Myron's class is good, but you don't need to spend the big bucks for a big name team. Find a local team that wins a lot and take their class first.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
I believe that class is full.

As for taking a class, I took one the first year I started and learned a lot. I thought it was worthwhile. I actually cooked against the teacher at a contest the following year and beat him with his own technique - he was second. However, you need to decide how much of what they teach you might use and does your cooker match that style. For example, they could tell you they cook at 300, or higher. They may cook on an offset and you have a vertical gravity fed or pellet cooker. The techniques can be useful in any situation and may prove worth the $500 (or more).
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I have always considered a class but, if you are professional, polite, and courteous then traveling to a contest and picking brains is just as helpful. We love talking to the people we buy our supplies from. We explain we won't continue to buy if they don't help make sure we are using the stuff correctly. If they don't we go to somebody that will.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I heard Mike Wozniak from QUAU has a successful class. I heard quite a few are going to the Jack and are also in the KCBS top 25 TOY overall and categories...

Go to learn, not worry if you are getting everything in their aresenal. At my class i make sure that while I teach my flavors, i want the students to do their own things. Meaning their own rubs and sauces. Do i hold anything back? No i do not. I do my class for other reasons than to make money for me or my team. I make money for cancer reaearch and if i am going to get recommendations from past students, i better make it good...

I'll have some big time announcements coming up when i can get details ironed out. It will be pretty darn exciting. Especially for me!!!

Good luck!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I would love to host cancersuckschicago for a class in Des Moines! If that doesn't work, I love Chicago and would be happy to come out! Let us all know!
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
BurninTree BBQ

Scottie you have to do a class on the eastcoast. (PA)
BurninTree BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm doing a class first part of next year in PA. Working with Fred's Music Supply in Reading area on dates.

American Royal GC & RGC cooks attended my classes with Butcher BBQ this last winter.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #12
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I heard Mike Wozniak from QUAU has a successful class. I heard quite a few are going to the Jack and are also in the KCBS top 25 TOY overall and categories...

Go to learn, not worry if you are getting everything in their aresenal. At my class i make sure that while I teach my flavors, i want the students to do their own things. Meaning their own rubs and sauces. Do i hold anything back? No i do not. I do my class for other reasons than to make money for me or my team. I make money for cancer reaearch and if i am going to get recommendations from past students, i better make it good...

I'll have some big time announcements coming up when i can get details ironed out. It will be pretty darn exciting. Especially for me!!!

Good luck!!
Csc & quau class in NY sure would be nice
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
BurninTree BBQ

Todd will you be putting it on your website or facebook? Really interested
BurninTree BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I took 2 classes in the off season last year. I took Todd and Butchers class in MI and flew out to Triggs class in CA. Had a total of $2k invested including travel expenses. By incorporating some of what I learned from Todd on brisket (180 in Bentonville last weekend thanks Todd) and some of Triggs on pork my winnings are right at $21k this year. I would love to take Scotties class but it's always the same week that us Fowl Butts go on our annual cruise.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I'm doing a class first part of next year in PA. Working with Fred's Music Supply in Reading area on dates.

American Royal GC & RGC cooks attended my classes with Butcher BBQ this last winter.
You doing anything close to Kentucky?

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote