• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Galvanized steel and cooking

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm searching for a whole hog spit roaster and find that at least one of the manufacturers is offering them with a galvanized steel coal tray/bed. Is this reckless? I understand that galvanized steel at high temps. is harmful.

In long-term, continuous exposure, the recommended maximum temperature for hot-dip galvanized steel is 200 °C (392 °F), according to the American Galvanizers Association. The use of galvanized steel at temperatures above this will result in peeling of the zinc at the inter metallic layer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-d...ntinuous exposure,at the inter metallic layer.

At what temperature does galvanized steel become toxic?
392 F
Zinc toxicity can occur when an individual is exposed to and breathes the heated yellowish fumes produced from welding or heating galvanized steel. For hot-dipped galvanized steel the recommended maximum temperature is 392 F (200 C), before the metal presents a toxicity risk.

https://www.bucket-outlet.com/Is-Galvanized-Steel-Toxic.htm

That surprised me at such a Low temp.
Older Galvinising down here was heavier than todays product, Maybe a different/safer product?

Hot dipped or Electroplated

I’m a galvanized metal welder/shop owner. (Almost 20 years) I have had zinc poisoning from fumes because of a faulty respirator. Not a fun ride. No permanent damage to the body, but not fun. I know im talking welding fumes, but don’t cook on or with galvanized anything. It’s effing nasty.

Is it galvanized or aluminized or other ? Does it say galvanized ?

I would rule that one out for sure. Even way back in high school at a summer job we were warned about heating galvanized.

Heed Ryan's warnings. Galvie flu shouldn't be taken lightly. I'd rule out the Charotis immediately.

Heed Ryan's warnings. Galvie flu shouldn't be taken lightly. I'd rule out the Charotis immediately.
I agree and have ruled out the model with the galvanized coal bed but there's nothing wrong with use of galvanized steel for the uprights in their open fire stand. I don't intend to spend the money they ask for the stainless model for the once or twice annual use I intend for this contraption. I am just amazed that they would advertise such a thing.

Back