Meatloaf advice

I've seen some great looking smoked meatloaf posts recently and am finally gonna give it a try today. For those who have cooked them on the PBC how long do you think a 2 lb loaf would take? And a bonus question: at what internal temp would your remove it from the pit?

Thanks for your help!

I don't have a real PBC but on my UDS at 290* - it took a little over an hour and a half. Pulled at 165* - mine was about 1.5#

It will depend on cooking temp, size of loaf and whether you had it in the refrigerator made up and sitting or just whipped it up and tossed it on.

I don't have a real PBC but on my UDS at 290* - it took a little over an hour and a half. Pulled at 165* - mine was about 1.5#

It will depend on cooking temp, size of loaf and whether you had it in the refrigerator made up and sitting or just whipped it up and tossed it on.

Thanks. Will probably be running around 290 to 300 and shaping it in an oblong fashion. Based on your input will plan for around a 1.5 to 2 hour cook.

First time poster from Downunder

First time poster from Melbourne Australia. American style BBQ is growing fast here. Unfortunately for most it still means burning snags on the barbie....... :grin:
Got a PBC for Xmas, worked excellent out of the box......, but I can't resist tinkering so made a few mods. Added lower grill mounts for searing, made some changes to the intake control "flap" , spring loaded the mounting bolt and added a second small bolt to adjust it. When I find some more time I may replace it with a slider vent. I made a diffuser by drilling a pizza pan out, placed over the coals using threaded rods as "feet"
Is it better..... perhaps, but had fun with the mods.
It's pictured smoking up some beef short ribs and chicken.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 263
Great to see the PBC in use down under Wombat! I love the mod you made to the intake. Genius idea to mark the positions for scale! Don't know why never thought of that...always just eyeballed the opening.

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see some of the things you cook!

First time poster from Melbourne Australia. American style BBQ is growing fast here. Unfortunately for most it still means burning snags on the barbie....... :grin:
Got a PBC for Xmas, worked excellent out of the box......, but I can't resist tinkering so made a few mods. Added lower grill mounts for searing, made some changes to the intake control "flap" , spring loaded the mounting bolt and added a second small bolt to adjust it. When I find some more time I may replace it with a slider vent. I made a diffuser by drilling a pizza pan out, placed over the coals using threaded rods as "feet"
Is it better..... perhaps, but had fun with the mods.
It's pictured smoking up some beef short ribs and chicken.

Cheers

Welcome Wombat. A flying wombat would be a site to see for sure.

I too like to tinker with my PBC and am interested in your lower grill mounts, post a pic when you can. Thanks for posting

Hi guys. Thinking of taking my PBC out for a little tailgating in a couple of weeks. If you are so inclined, hit me up with some suggestions of grub that can be done on the PBC in around 2 hours. Wings? ATBs?

Wangs (any kind of chicken parts), ABTs, half chickens, tritip, pork loin (depending on size), pork tenderloin, naked fatty, stuffed fatty, stuffed peppers, crispy Cornell chicken, maybe some small baby backs (if you can find them) if you go hot and fast...

Baby back ribs

Chicken lollipops

Pork belly burnt ends

Fatties

Thick steak (reverse seared)

Tri Tip

Lamp chops

In regards to baby backs, you can significantly reduce your cooking time if you cut them first then cook. Hour to hour and a half maximum. No wrapping or anything obviously.

vK3cQDRh.jpg

In regards to baby backs, you can significantly reduce your cooking time if you cut them first then cook. Hour to hour and a half maximum. No wrapping or anything obviously.

vK3cQDRh.jpg

Pretty interesting. Is there a big change in the flavor or texture profile doing them this way?

Back