MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #916
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Who knew there were appreciations before the UDS and PBC?
I was pleasantly surprised. Thought I was on the Weber forum for a min.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Richard. Didn't know it existed on here and some cool setups.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #917
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

Okay I tried to add a photo but something on this site does not like links to Google pics.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #918
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Okay I tried to add a photo but something on this site does not like links to Google pics.
Not a new problem.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=229892

Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #919
dbhost

I don't have enough light to take pics but the ribs in the chicken or off I've stoked it rain arranged it to do grilling now and I've got burgers bratwurst and hot dogs on. Once these come off the grill I'm just going to let it burn out.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #920
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Who knew there were appreciations before the UDS, WSM and PBC?
Me!

Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #921
dbhost

Okay I did figure out how to embed Google Photos. Go to the photo using a browser on a PC not a mobile device, right click, copy image location and voila! You get a link that can actually be used!

So here they are, in use. They both now need to be cleaned up.

Yesterday like I said was the first burn on the Jumbo Joe premium, and a couple of items I noted.

#1. The nuts on the vent shutters are a bit too tight. The shutters are hard to operate once the kettle heats up, particularly the one on the lid..

#2. The ash buildup really wasn't a problem, at least until I tossed in the chunk charcoal and set it up for a second burn without cleaning it out doing some grilling. It works, don't get me wrong, but it took some effort to clean out this morning after it cooled off before I came to work...

I noted something interesting. Using the Kingsford Briquettes, they reduced all the way to a fairly fine powdery ash. However using the Mesquite chunk charcoal, there was a relatively incomplete burn, and the ash that was left from that was still fiarly chunky, coarser, and had some trouble being cleaned out of the kettle. I am going to finish off this bag and call it a failed experiment on the chunk charcoal for sure...

I keep seeing guys on Youtube talking about only using Kingsford blue, and adding wood chunks to get the smoke. I disagree. I am using Kingsford Mesquite, Pecan, or Applewood depending on the mood for what smoke I want, with fantastic results for years. Never been an issue in the kettles. So why is it folks are recommending the Kingsford blue?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #922
dadsr4

Since there isn't a Ugly kettle thread,

Old 06-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #923
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Okay I did figure out how to embed Google Photos. Go to the photo using a browser on a PC not a mobile device, right click, copy image location and voila! You get a link that can actually be used!

So here they are, in use. They both now need to be cleaned up.

Yesterday like I said was the first burn on the Jumbo Joe premium, and a couple of items I noted.

#1. The nuts on the vent shutters are a bit too tight. The shutters are hard to operate once the kettle heats up, particularly the one on the lid..

#2. The ash buildup really wasn't a problem, at least until I tossed in the chunk charcoal and set it up for a second burn without cleaning it out doing some grilling. It works, don't get me wrong, but it took some effort to clean out this morning after it cooled off before I came to work...

I noted something interesting. Using the Kingsford Briquettes, they reduced all the way to a fairly fine powdery ash. However using the Mesquite chunk charcoal, there was a relatively incomplete burn, and the ash that was left from that was still fiarly chunky, coarser, and had some trouble being cleaned out of the kettle. I am going to finish off this bag and call it a failed experiment on the chunk charcoal for sure...

I keep seeing guys on Youtube talking about only using Kingsford blue, and adding wood chunks to get the smoke. I disagree. I am using Kingsford Mesquite, Pecan, or Applewood depending on the mood for what smoke I want, with fantastic results for years. Never been an issue in the kettles. So why is it folks are recommending the Kingsford blue?

KBB can be found MUCH cheaper on the holiday sales. Most stock up. You can also control the smoke flavor by using real wood
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #924
dbhost

I just finished installing a 2in thermometer in the lid on the 22 in Jumbo Joe premium. I'm about to install a similar thermometer in the lid on the Smokey Joe. I'm figuring thermometers the right places will help me manage temperatures better. I've also stepped up and purchased rib rack for the 22 and I'm ready to give ribs another shot. Bit of a learning curve on these but I think I might have it down now a bit concerned however since I really want to do these dry rub not sauced so that I can stay properly on diet however I came up with a fairly simple mop recipe that is Paleo friendly. Just apple juice basic brisket rub and some garlic salt. probably go with that.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #925
dbhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
KBB can be found MUCH cheaper on the holiday sales. Most stock up. You can also control the smoke flavor by using real wood
What, may I ask is KBB?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #926
dadsr4

Quote:
What, may I ask is KBB?
Kingsford in the blue bag. Works well for grilling, lots of opinions, good and bad, for smoking. Some say they can taste it, most don't. Can be smoky at startup, provides long term, steady coals for grilling. Can produce more ash than other brands. Readily available everywhere.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #927
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

Love my 26 kettle.

Last edited by Hinds15; 09-07-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #928
Hinds15
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BullseyeMetalWerks

Late dinner. This thread inspired me to throw some ribs and sausages on.

Last edited by Hinds15; 09-07-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Hinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #929
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

2022 Bump!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #930
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Nice to see this resurrected. Thanks Moose
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods