• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Two Mini Butts.

Burn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Split a butt into two and cooking them up on the Rt590. One with teriyaki and caj spice. The other is spicy brown mustard and minced garlic salt pepper. I injected both with a watered down solution of what I plan to mop with throughout the cook. We shall see.

Last edited:
Added some turkey Breast.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth on splitting butts for smoking, and if done properly, don't think it harms anything. Normally the occasion would arise from underestimating how many pork butts would be needed. If quartered, they cook in about the same amount of time as ribs. Also, there is more bark due to the increased surface area, which is desired with Texas style pulled pork. With that said, I never did it on an offset, just a commercial smoker that retained moisture really well. On an offset, wrapping might be needed. Looks good in the photos

These were placed in a boat at around 165. They started out fat side down and went fat side up once in the boat. I think they turned out tasty.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth on splitting butts for smoking, and if done properly, don't think it harms anything. Normally the occasion would arise from underestimating how many pork butts would be needed. If quartered, they cook in about the same amount of time as ribs. Also, there is more bark due to the increased surface area, which is desired with Texas style pulled pork. With that said, I never did it on an offset, just a commercial smoker that retained moisture really well. On an offset, wrapping might be needed. Looks good in the photos

I plan on splitting them on my next smoke, like you said, more surface area for the bark and when pulled, more flavor and texture IMO. :thumb:

Good to know I ain’t the only (pork)butt splitter on here! Lookin good! There had to be a better way to word that!

Good to know I ain’t the only (pork)butt splitter on here! Lookin good! There had to be a better way to word that!

There is always a better way to word anything I type. Lol

Back