Lump Charcoal for Gravity Smokers

Dread Pirate Roberts

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I decided to get some B&B lump for my cook today. Pretty irregular sizes (one was like the size of a bowling ball, which I didn't use. I'll have to break that one up). Temps today are jumping around more than the briquettes, but the ash is greatly reduced. What are you using for lump in your gravity fed smokers, or do you stick with briquettes?

Only used briquettes in my Limo Jr. That’s what Scott with Southern Q recommended, so I’ve stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using Jealous Devil Briquettes lately. Very little ash and very consistent. Good quality stuff. Takes longer to heat up is my only nit pick, but I can live with that.

Have used nothing but Royal Oak Lump for many years. After having used many have not found one that imparts the flavor that this does small rocks and all.

I use B&B lump in my Masterbuilt without any issues. Yes the size isn’t as consistent as I would hope but I just dump and go. Never had any of the big pieces give me any problems.

I primarily use B&B oak lump in my MB560 and haven't had any issues with it.

Cooks less than 6 hours, I use Kingsford blue bag.
Cooks more than 6 hours, I use Royal Oak red bag.
MMS G20 with FlameBoss 300. No problems with either.

Only used briquettes in my Limo Jr. That’s what Scott with Southern Q recommended, so I’ve stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked him and he told me that as well. Seasoning and first cook was done with KBB, subsequent cooks with B&B Oak Briquettes. No real taste difference imo, but a huge reduction in ash (I was shocked at the difference) I have some Gordon Select but haven't tried them yet. I really like the B&B

Back