Austin, TX restaurant recommendations?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My kids (15 and 11) are visiting Austin with their mom this weekend and they want a great BBQ restaurant. I said Franklin’s just out of knowing it, but it’s closed until the 5th. My kids would love any other suggestions. Thanks!

Blacks. La Barbecue. Ley Roy and Lewis’s. The switch. Valentines. So many good ones. My house. Lol

For that age range Valentina's! Excellent bbq along with bbq tacos and queso. Brotherton's Black Iron has traditional bbq with amazing sandwiches such as a brisket cheesesteak and brisket grilled cheese.

And .... forget ..... The Salt Lick ..... a place with a lot of history but not that great ... for my palate. Maybe at one time it was great ... dunno

Lits of good suggestions above. You could argue Lockhart and surrounding towns have better Q.

For a fun experience and good but not great food go to the Oasis. It’s a TexMex place the overlooks Lake Travis. Great sunset, beers and nachos. Do you need more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been to a few places in Austin and so far the only good BBQ I've found is Leroy and Lewis. They have their food truck at a fantastic outdoor area with some other food trucks, and without a doubt their food is the best in that area. I got a sampler and everything (with a single exception) was amazing! The Cauliflower Burnt Ends were an interesting concept but I didn't like them at all. The brisket was exactly what I would expect from Texas BBQ. The Barbacoa (beef cheeks) was tender and juicy, and their pulled pork was the best restaurant pulled pork I've ever had (outside of my own, of course).

Blacks wasn't very good at all...brisket was cold and dry before we even sat down. Their sides were straight food service gunk ; same stuff you'd see in a buffet style restaurant like Golden Corral or Sizzler.

I tried a few places in Killeen (about an hour away from Austin) and they aren't even worth naming / shaming.

Good luck with your trip and I hope you find some great BBQ.

Back